plans for this "free spirit"

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by eltatertoto, Apr 12, 2008.

1. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

ok, guys. i bought this bike 2 days agao at a church sale, for 6 bucks!!!!! there was a matching girl bike, that i didnt buy. this bike (to me) looks like it sat in a garage for 30 years. the only rust/damage is whats pictured. the only real bad mark looks like a scab on the top tube. i L-O-V-E those fenders! i dunno why. i think it might be the wrinkle. the ONLY reason i bought it is cause of the 3 speed hub. cause i am gettin 4 stroke , and i wanst gonna get one till i found one with a 3 speed hub. (cause i have to replace the cranks and gears) but anyway, heres the 20 or so pics. once i clean off the dirt/caked dust im sure it will shine!!! creative critisisim welcome)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2008

2. What 4 stroke you getting?
    Will it be a frame mount?
    That bike...you stole it,man!
    You stole it!
    It's gonna be fly.

3. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

lol large. that was the nicest one there. i also got a brand new walker for $2 (for my grandma as a spare) and a bunch of other stuff. and yea frame mount. boy go fast on ebay put up an auction at my request. he said not many peeps buy his 4 stroke. i ended up paying 300 with shipping.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=190214177567&Category=42319&_trksid=p3907.m29 now.... when i put air in it, if it holds it, that would be the best day ever!!!!!!!!!!!! (i hate to the pit of my stom,ach changing tires/tubes. i also love the design on the chain guard!!! it remings me of the videogame called bully.

or, the knights of columbus symbol. (old catholic men club thing)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
  4. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

5. BSA

BSA Guest

Very strong bike, I think it's a raleigh 3 speed. Them frames will take anything. Steel; there theres nothing like it. I'm hoping to get an old 3-speed and fit a villiers engine on it; when I can get enough money together. They were everywhere in Britain in the olden days.

BSA

6. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

yea, my murray (70s) is like a tank, and this bike has the same basic frame design., so it should hold up nice.

7. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

lol thats not the place. thats the back yard where its sunny. its under her huge tree its muddy

8. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Hey, I bought that exact model of bike (same color, same everything) with my very own hard-earned cash new from sears in about 1983, 4 or 5. I think it cost $119 or $129- guys, that was a lot of money 25 years ago. I loved it...until I was in two wrecks with it- neither the bike's fault. The second owne tweaked the frame and it was never the same again...though it is still in my dad's barn in Michigan. In fact, the pedals from it and some of the cables are on my motored bike.

Rock on, neighbor.

I saw a bike like that for sale at a church run thrift store in the old Handy Andy on Broadway in Merrillville, you didn't get it there, did you?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
  9. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

no, houghmade. i got it at a church sale near the bike path where central ends. mccool?? i cant remember exactly, but im pretty sure its mcool, and central. after you get your bike set up, and i get this one built, were definately gonna have to go on a ride.

10. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

the real hapy day will be if i fill the tires and they hold air!!

11. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Well- progress is being made- here's are a few teasers on what is taking so long:

- totally fabricated a "simulated" Indian leaf spring front

- shortened crank and smaller front bicycle sprocket- shorter crank gives more leg room now that the seat is almost sitting on the back wheel- the smaller sprocket gives back the mechanical advantage I need to actually pedal with the short crank- I pedal only to start from a dead stop with on this bike

- Still need to remount the speedo/headlight combo- I did not like the original mount

- I might have the new Husky wheels (with white tires) on tonight, if so, in progress pics

12. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

13. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Just so you know- I think that is a quality bike- regarding mine getting the frame tweaked, remember it was the second accident- A 300+ pound neighbor riding his bike hit me when I was standing still at the end of a long hill....that collision was going to bend anything short of a bulldozer- The seat off my Free Spirit is on my wife's Columbia Hi-Way Patrol cruiser. The three speed hub is smooth and bullet proof (cleaned up and lubricated). I was going to use a brake caliper from it on my current bike, but it would not clear the 2.125 tire. That was a good deal.

14. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

thanks! yea, with this weather, i havent touched it. hopfully today or tommrow if it gets to like 60-65 ill work on it. but the shed is wayyyyy to cramped and i dont park my bikes outside unless i can see them. and i keep the dor closed so i can keep from the wind.

15. You know the short cranks may well be an advantage to Motoredbikes for the shorter the crank the faster you can rotate them.
    So if you can rotate the front sprocket fast enough to start your engine and do it sitting down yet then you have won in the game of life.

16. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

ok, so i cleaned it up, somewhat. gotta do wheels and the inside of forks, but for the most part it came out nice. i love that pearlecent blue. it matches my helmet!!! lol my helmet even has foe gold leaf too! but i love how this turned out, and i did a vid, and its going on youtube as we speak. i actually wouldnt be suprised if the engine cleared the peddels. the peddels are kinda stubby. but with my luck theyll hit.... p.s. i am actually debating wether to put an engine. this is THE smoothest bike ive EVER ridden in my life...

pics are crappy cause i had it on backlight compensation and the sun was behind me.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2008
  17. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

18. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Tater, nobody would blame you if you didn't motorize it. It's a sharp looking bike. I have a couple British bikes that are similar to your Free Spirit, and they are such smooth riding three-speeds that I have no intention of putting a motor on them.

19. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

well, i might motorize it, then when i find a better bike this will be my daily driver...