Pleasant Discovery

...i was simply speaking to search-woes in general, trying to help, and used the topic as example...there a few rare mentions of someone being lucky enuff to run without an engine-side tensioner, i agree that if/when it can be accomplished it's much smoother.

One question srdavo, how or what did you search specifically to recover those specific posts for me? idler wheel ? chain tension ?

my key words were.... pedal side tensioner . this search got 11 threads. not all 11 were useful.

Back on topic.....most times I use the tensioner for routing & clearance issues. Recently, I've had the opportunity to fine-tune..hehe... a couple of locally built Happy Times. These bikes are the blue/white Kulanas. (single speed cruisers) the chainstays on these frames are plenty wide, so NO tensioner is needed.

I honestly do not know why favoring the engine chain tightness over the peddle chain isn't in the general instruction sheets. I did find one sheet that stated if the chain was deflecting within the normal 1/4 to 1/2 deflections than the idler is not necessary, but never have I seen a recommendation to actually use the idler for peddle chain adjustment. WAY better.[/QUOTE]

i was wondering what size back sprocket are you running ?? where i live mountains and hills so i run a 50 tooth ,,i am thinking that the chain may run better without the idler on a smaller back sprocket then a larger sprocket ,due to the change in angle ,,, it seems to me that the small sprocket on the motor is particular on what angle the chain runs at ,,

someday i am going to replace both sprockets with a high quality bicycle sprockets ,and chain ,, i really don"t see the need for such a heavy chain ,,look at the mountain bikes they can climb hills i can"t with 200 lbs drivers on them , so why am i using a chain big enough for a bulldozer
japat

To Thatsdax

It's my post that's at fault for your confusion Dax, I apologize .... it's simply what others are saying in other posts that I didn't find in search when I posted my excitement in the results. ..... it's just tightening the engine chain in any way you prefer either by link shortening or engine adjustment, and making sure your wheel ends up leaving you slot sliding room in the axel holders,with a good tight chain at the standard 1/4 or better deflection. Take idler from the engine side, then shorten the pedel chain by link removal, sprocket change, or as we're discussing, use the idler wheel on the pedal chain as we normaly use it on the engine chain,except I have the pedel chain UNDER the wheel with the wheel pulling the chain down for tension .... the end look is the same as you see on any multi speed bike with the regular chain tensioner arm hanging down underneith .... sorry for my post sounding so technical .... as I said in reply to you pic request earlier, there will be pics in a few days as soon as I go over to the workshop where I store my stuff and take the pics ... The gallery post title of this new chrome beauty will be "CHROME STALLION" pics.

Japat100

I found a guy on the internet that sold me an odd 40 tooth size and I wish I could find him again because it is just a tad better in my opinion than the 44 tooth with (to me) the best balance of speed versus torque for hills. I bought Dax's 36 toother and its much easier on the engine revs, but its a little hilly here in northern ca. so I went back to the 40. I will stick on all future builds to the 44 I think,unless I can find that guy's 40 toother again.

oh... So...What you are saying is..

So.. You are saying.... Put the idler pulley on the power side of the chain. O yes.. I have heard of this before. I have never done this being that the power side will put excessive pressure on to the idler pulley. I can see it would be advantageous for reducing chain lash on decelerating. My guess would be a spring or tension loaded idler wheel for the power side. Say.. Around 1 or 2 lbs of pressure. That might be ok. But.. Over all, The proof is in usage. Anyone doing this on the power side? If so.. What is your mileage out of the wheel and opinion on it. Augi I think is doing this. I may give it a try. Thanks.. Enjoy the ride...

dax

The idler is supposed to go on the power chain side normally .... what i did was use it on the pedel chain .. the chain that comes on a bicycle to peddle with. From your post, I can only guess you already are running yours just like mine because your post kind of sounds like you didn't know the idler wheel is for the ENGINE chain .... I have pics but I've spent a half hour and can't get them to upload ... my bad, I just don't remember what I did to post my other bike pics .... I'll figure it out and the pics clearly show the chains.

The idler is supposed to go on the power chain side normally .... what i did was use it on the pedel chain .. the chain that comes on a bicycle to peddle with. From your post, I can only guess you already are running yours just like mine because your post kind of sounds like you didn't know the idler wheel is for the ENGINE chain .... I have pics but I've spent a half hour and can't get them to upload ... my bad, I just don't remember what I did to post my other bike pics .... I'll figure it out and the pics clearly show the chains.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=73204&postcount=2

Back