PLEASE HELP Will not stay Idling

T

Timmy9toes

I have recently re built my gas bike and added a new carb, velocity stack and big air cleaner. I re fueled and started the engine with no real problem till i let off the throtle all the way it just dies. as soon as i pedal and re pop clutch it starts right back up. It runs good when in motion but again as soon as i stop and let of the throttle it dies. what should I do to fix the issue?

I have recently re built my gas bike and added a new carb, velocity stack and big air cleaner. I re fueled and started the engine with no real problem till i let off the throtle all the way it just dies. as soon as i pedal and re pop clutch it starts right back up. It runs good when in motion but again as soon as i stop and let of the throttle it dies. what should I do to fix the issue?

This could be a few things, especially after you worked on it/ replaced some parts (especially the carb). Check to see if everything is properly in place and tight (or loose), and play with different adjustment screws (I recommend one thing at a time to diagnose an issue). When this was happening to me, it was a problem with the amount of fuel going into the cylinder at a resting rate. For instance, it would run pretty much perfectly when at speed, but when fully stopped or idling, it would flood. To adjust this, I simply adjusted the screw on the side of my carburetor.

Although this fixed my issue, it may not necessarily fix yours. Before making a post for this, I would suggest you consult a troubleshooting guide for 2-stroke engines first, like this one: http://motoredbikes.com/threads/running-essentials-a-complete-troubleshooting-guide.46349/

Good luck, hopefully you can resolve your issue.

This could be a few things, especially after you worked on it/ replaced some parts (especially the carb). Check to see if everything is properly in place and tight (or loose), and play with different adjustment screws (I recommend one thing at a time to diagnose an issue). When this was happening to me, it was a problem with the amount of fuel going into the cylinder at a resting rate. For instance, it would run pretty much perfectly when at speed, but when fully stopped or idling, it would flood. To adjust this, I simply adjusted the screw on the side of my carburetor.

Although this fixed my issue, it may not necessarily fix yours. Before making a post for this, I would suggest you consult a troubleshooting guide for 2-stroke engines first, like this one: http://motoredbikes.com/threads/running-essentials-a-complete-troubleshooting-guide.46349/

Good luck, hopefully you can resolve your issue.
I forgot to mention the cause of this issue as a whole.

There are two conditions that could cause this kind of issue. You could be running rich, or be running lean.

If you are running rich, this means you have too much fuel going to the cylinder. This may be caused by the amount of fuel allowed through the carb (too much), or it may mean you are not allowing enough air to go through the carb. On the other hand, if you are running lean, this means not enough fuel is being allowed to go to the cylinder. Again, this could be caused by the amount of fuel that you are allowing to go through the carb (not enough), or it may mean that you are allowing too much air to run through the carb.

I would check for any air leaks at the intake and carb. Also check your float to make sure it is sitting at the right level and not allowing too much fuel into the bowl.

Back