Poor little Mongoose. CHOP CHOP so low.

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by graucho, Aug 14, 2009.

1. graucho

graucho Active Member

Poor little Mongoose. CHOP CHOP go low.

I was walking through wally world and this poor little BMX mongoose was just sitting there with a clearance tag of $29.00. It was smiling when it left the store. Until it rolled into the garage and saw the power tools, welder, grinder and cutting saw. (bike torture chamber)

Little did it know it would soon live the life of a motorized low-rider. 7ft 6" long. Frames highest point of 24.5".
    This bike will not be for the rookie or inexperienced rider. Stretched this far (52 deg) will have steering flop. This MB will be totally about "holly CARP I survived the ride" and I lived to tell about it.

What can I say.... Im bored, and I have never built a specialty bike to be normal. This is the first stages. Poor little BMX Mongoose.:6:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

awesome chop-chop!!!! :tt1:

questions......

did you alter the headtube/downtube angle?

what engine/motor are you dreaming of? :confused:

have you shown our Zombie friends yet? (yeah...I'm too lazy to click there...:grin5:)

I'll never be able to look at a mongoose the same way.... ever!

I'm keeping an eye on this.... good show!!

3. biken stins

biken stins Member

Nice style !

4. azbill

azbill Active Member

yup...gonna be doing wide, sweeping turns :cool2:

5. rkbonds

rkbonds Member

That is sick!!! I'm going to have to stop looking at your threads because I don't have access to the tools you have and it makes me jealous. Seriously sweet looking ride.

6. graucho

graucho Active Member

Thanks guys!
    _The Schwinn OCC is on the chopping block next for my 9 year old grandson.
    My daughter gave me the OK to start breaking him in, learning to weld and use the hand grinder. YEA! The chop saw is still off limits. BOO. LOL

7. graucho

graucho Active Member

One of my tricks for vibration and smoothness is fill the forks, handlebars, bottom and top tube with expanding foam insulation. It ozzes out for about 20 minutes, but its a good trick for a smoother ride.

Also I started some final body work and aligning before stripping it down for paint.

Attached Files:

8. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

this rocks!!

9. graucho

graucho Active Member

progress

Body work done. Took the mongoose to primer.
    Mixed my paint color pallet for a real FLAME paint job.
    Practiced one more time before flaming/painting the frame.
    Of course the flames will be small to fit proportion of the frame.
    More to come over the weekend.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  10. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Graucho,
    I've got a ton of Q's for you!

Before I pump you for info, LOL! I'll bring some too the table for you!

Do you use metal conditioner? If not, it helps the primer stick drastically better but you've got to pretty much bare the whole frame to metal! To save a few bucks, I'd have to ask some Q's @ it, but the dollar store sells a cleaning product, I think it's lime away or similar. Acts the same as metal conditioner!

Rustolium??? You do killer work man! Not that it's not now but if you went to a base/clear coat (automotive) paint system, results would be flippin stunning! I could tell by the work on your other bikes! Please don't take me wrong, I just think your sellin the calibre of your work short by using inferior products! If you have any Q's on paint systems, PM me!

Awesome posts! Good luck! Hope the rest goes smooth!

11. azbill

azbill Active Member

graucho...do you have any recommendations on an airbrush set-up???
    azvinnie is looking to get into airbrushing his builds, rather than the rattle can
    I told him I knew just who to ask :cool2:

12. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Good idea with the foam. For a while, Bianchi filled the lower seat tube with foam. I think Bianchi did it for extra tube strength.

13. machiasmort

Yeah, I thought the foam idea was pretty cool to.

Any airbrush will outperform a rattle can any day! I'll let Graucho speak for the rest tho, he probably knows more than I, on that one.

Bet he's working on that bike right now, inorder to send us more pics!

14. graucho

graucho Active Member

Update

Thanks guys.

machiasmort.... You are absolutely correct about the auto quality paints. Ive painted a few Bad A$$ choppers
    for my brother with the automotive quality paints. As for my rides I always have to keep in mind that
    Im painting a $200.00 bike" not a $35,000 full size. LOL

Over the years I have taken Rustoleum to the next level. I paint my entire bikes for around $16.00. Including clearcoat.
    If I have yelo, red, blue, black I can mix any color pallet I need. One of my tricks is I use Rustoleum base (with no pigment) for a clearcoat.

azbill.... heres a few great sources for airbrush kits.
    Perfect for the beginner. Affordable.
    http://www.d i c kblick.com/products/paasche-model-h-airbrush-set/ (NO SPACES BETWEEN "d i c k" auto sensor puts ****)

Not a complete kit, but a SUPER dual phase pen for $50.00
    http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=MAS+G23

Here are a few photos of my frame. I didn't have time to do the fork or sprocket over the weekend.
    I had to much on the honey doo list.:sweatdrop: More photos to come as I make progress. Peace.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  15. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Beautiful!!

[​IMG]

16. machiasmort

That is some killer work!
    I never knew you can just get the base! Great idea! I knew you couldn't use the two part automotive clear over enamel. That's what blew my mind when I seen the rustoleum cans!
    I can swing an air brush but my work wouldn't hold a candle to that! You must have had some people who knew their stuff arround ya growin up!

17. graucho

graucho Active Member

Update_re-assembly CHOPPER mongoose

Painting is finished. I started re-assembly of the "new and improved" CHOPPER mongoose.
    More to come tomorrow.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  18. machiasmort

Killer work on the fork tube! Looks too perfect to be real!

19. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

Awesome build Graucho very impressive buddy.

I downloaded 33 eps of Hot Rod TV yesterday slowky making my way through them, one of the eps on 'True Fire' presented by the Mike Lavalle, he was the first to paint flames in a realistic manner... Hot Rod TV season 1 episode 7 True Fire is the episode in question if you want to search for it (whack bittorrent on end of Google search)

Some members might like to checkout Mike Lavallee website

http://www.killerpaint.com/

KiM

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  20. machiasmort

Hey, thanks a lot Aussie! You made me late!

I see Graucho's work and I get a little discouraged (thinking maybe 10 more years)?

I see this Guy's work and it makes me want to give up! I like the fact he gives advice in the video, "Dark to light, loose to tight" is cool and shows he's a true artist not bent on keeping secrets!

Easier link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsYysTKcYns