poor mans CNC

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by machiasmort, Mar 31, 2010.

1. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

I think back to a while ago when talking about the economy with Kerf... Kerf's comments still ring in my ear back when this idea of mine first entered my mind. "Good old fashioned American ingenuity will get us out of this recession".

Well I set forth to make a carving duplicator. The Jiminy Cricket mass production cartoons corrupted my mind when a much younger lad...

After about 2yrs. and wasting about $2,000, I finally came up with a machine that duplicates to within 1/32 of an inch! Posted are some pictures.

Please don't think I'm being a snot rocket or stuck up for not revealing more of the way I built it. I'm more than happy to share ideas with my Brothers here on the site. Problem is, I don't need to be competing with 1,000 other people with the same machine! My actions come out of necessity rather than want... My back is pretty messed up and I need a job I can do! Besides, this is a motorbike board and I don't want Tom to get mad! LOL! Just joking Tom, I'm sure he'll be happy to see it worked....

Check out the block of Oak this thing milled through! The rest that look almost finished are Cherry...

Hmmm, What can I be producing for our MB's that would benefit our Members here? Input accepted and appreciated!

What I can do, is give you guy's a heck of a deal on pistol grips for now. I'll whoop anybody's price out there and deliver a quality product!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015

2. chefdouglas

chefdouglas Member

I like what you're doing. Rifle stocks have been made by a very similar method except they are put on a lathe so a 3D shape is formed by the same method, both are rotated one with a feeler prong the other with a router. As far as applying the idea to MB's your method could be used to port/polish intakes and exhaust using a model known to be good (tested to be more powerful) and a stock one to be worked on. You would be able to replicate the first one as many times as people order it and you would have a more consistent product than ones done by hand. Faster too. Another idea is making friction drive rollers if you want to stick with wood. A hight quality sprocket could be achieved with your method starting with a wood or plastic prototype but mite not be able to compete on price with what is already available. Motor mounts could also be made to fit different shape/size tubes. In a nut shell he possible item you could make is huge but you would need to transfer your process to metal. Prototyping and examples to be copied could be made from epoxy, plastic or synthetic sculpting clay make it fast, easy and cheap to try an idea out. I hope this helps and is the kind of input you are looking for. If you want to stick with pistol grips for now think about bone and synthetic turquoise as an item people may want instead of wood to help get some sales and not need to change you process by much.
    GOOD LUCK!

3. tacoshell4

tacoshell4 Member

verry cool so 1 side is the finished product which is duped to the block? verry nice i wish i had a gun with wooden grips lol keep it up bro

4. professor

professor Active Member

Terrific! I wish you well in this latest project.

5. tacoshell4

tacoshell4 Member

yes your engenuity is top notch i cant spell
    lol

6. machiasmort

I appreciate the compliments guy's!

Chef, you put a lot of thought into that, thanks... As far as porting goes, I forgot what they call that part of the motor... I believe your are talking about the big holes in the bottom of the jugs?

I could probably do sprockets on it, but would take forever! Most are stamped I believe?

Prototyping with clay is sound advice!!! I'm already tossing ideas arround!

As far as a source of bone, any ideas? Butcher maybe??? That's an art in itself just in carving!

Although I spent all that time and money, a comprable machine would be over $2,000... At least if something goes wrong, mine won't be down too long! I made it myself!!! ;)

7. machiasmort

I just thought I'd put it out there. I'm not out to get rich off of any of you guy's on the board, we're friends here... I'd have to see something to opperate it, but if somebody came up with an idea????? I've got capability! It's actually better than CNC for limited run jobs, because you don't have to waste your time programing!

8. chefdouglas

chefdouglas Member

I was thinking of where the carb and muffler attach. By opening the hole and making them smooth the engine runs better making more power. Search port and you'll see what I mean. I don't know a source for bone because it needs to be "cured" but google synthetic turquoise and synthetic ivory to find sources. People would buy custom grips I would think. I think a no drill motor mount for larger tube bike would be a product you could make with your machine with an aluminum cutting bit and a drill press. I'll think about MB parts that could be made and I'll get back to you. I think the next step is seeing how well you can do metal as wood just isn't a good MB product.

9. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Very nice work, Marty. Looks like a 3D pantograph using stepper motors for controlled movement of the cutter head against the material. I've seen that done two ways - fixed cutter, movable blank holder; and fixed blank, movable cutter head.

Curing bone is really pretty easy to do. The best method is a "natural cure" process whereby the bone is exposed to insect action but protected from small animals (like rats and porcupines) who will gnaw it to shreds if they get at it. This does have the drawback of being pretty time-consuming - in the Buffalo area I'd expect a "natural cure" process to take up to a year's time for a large bone.

When working things like pistol grips out of bone, you will often encounter problems with getting a large enough bone to cut your starting blanks from. Shoulder blades and pelvic girdles are your best bets. Another source you may not immediately think of, but which ought to be reasonably obtainable in that area, is moose antlers. The best thing about antlers is that they are already essentially "cured" bone while still attached to the deer or moose head.

Years ago I made several sets of dominoes from bone, mostly beef shoulder and pelvic blade chunks I got from a butcher shop.

10. machiasmort

I see, so you want the bone dried out... I didn't know if the sun would hurt it?

If I could make sense of the stepper motors and driver, ect. I'd build a CNC. I think that might be next!!!

"synthetic turquoise and synthetic ivory" I'd be scared to breath the dust tho! I bet with a diamond bit, I'd be able to cut marble? I'd have to waterproof everything!

11. chefdouglas

chefdouglas Member

Mable, I don't think and could be wrong, will not live long due to the shock wave of a hand gun. The areas where it attaches to the frame will crumble rather fast. Marble also has silica which should never be inhaled. Either way you go I would wear a mask. SimpleSimon's
    Idea of using antlers sounds like a good idea and probably a market exists for the product.

12. SimpleSimon

Frankly, if what you have is in effect a 3D hand driven pantograph, you are exposed to the dust created by the cutter head. It doesn't much matter what type of material you are cutting blanks from, inhaling dust is a bad idea. Especially any relatively high tannin hardwoods, or bone dust. Wear a good respirator when working.

Vegetable ivory is nice to work with but finding pieces big enough to use as blanks is gonna be difficult. Some of the rarer, exotic hardwoods like cocobolo, zebrawood, satinwood, and most especially paduak are outright toxic too breathe the dust of.

Most commercially available cured bone is actually cooked and scraped. The problem with that is that bone is a living matrix absolutely full of long chain proteins that are binders, like glass fibre in the epoxy of fiberglass. Cooking the bone tends to denature and break those protein chains, and as the bone subsequently ages it will check and crack in fine cracks all over the surface. Naturally cured bone, especially antler bone, retains those protien fibers unbroken, making it much more resilient and durable.

13. machiasmort

I had no idea, the hazzards of marble or exotic wood cutting... Thanks guy's! I thought them to be natural substances... Safe...

"3D hand driven pantograph" That's basically what it is accept it will be 4D once I add turrets and can turn my workpiece together with the pattern. 4 axis would be the better way to word it, I think?

Surprised you get that big of a kick out of it Simon. Your compliments give me further encouragement. If anybody could shoot it full of holes, would have been you!!!

I picked up a belt sander from HF. I'm not a big made in China fan as you guy's know, but this thing is built nice! Was on sale in the slinger for $79 marked down from $89. I found a coupon on line and got it for $49! Be careful!!!

14. machiasmort

Meant as a compliment... Not as (Simon has a negative outlook).

15. SimpleSimon

No problem, Mort. Taken as intended. I admire your skills and your persistence in finding ways to use them to better your situation. I used to carve, with hand and machine carving tools, and I know how much work it can be too turn out a quality finished piece. I think my two finest pieces were my elephants - mostly hand carved after roughing them out with machine tools from two blocks of teak that started out 12" x 12" x 8" thick, and they are the only two I still have.

Only reason I still have them is I had packed them up and taken them with me on a car trip to Oregon from Houston - on my return to Houston I entered my condo to find it utterly empty - they even stole the carpets and the antique glass door knob sets on the interior doors. Everything I owned that wasn't with me was gone, including the gas stove and the refrigerator. Never replaced the carving tools, I was so discouraged.

16. machiasmort

Slime bags!

Oh, I'd be mad!