popping sound and smoke from the air cleaner

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by ilovenxtage, Apr 29, 2013.

1. ilovenxtage

ilovenxtage New Member

I just put my carb back together (stock NT) and it ran fine for a few minutes on the test stand, then it started popping and smoking from the air intake, and the engine would barely stay running. I killed it so it wouldn't explode in my face. Could I maybe have a leak in the carb or something? (I'm very new to two strokes)

2. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

those carbs are pure trash. put a real motorcycle carb on it.
  3. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

got the slide around the wrong way? on one side of the slide there is a slot. on one side of the carb there is a screw with a spring under it.

the slot on the slide should be on the opposite side to the screw on the carb.

or its flooding because the float and needle is stuck

or both :)

i dont think its smoke. fuel mist, yes. smoke, no. it cant physically be smoke unless your engine has a major physical defect...
  4. ilovenxtage

ilovenxtage New Member

I discovered that the sparkplug was only firing intermittently, so I put a new plug in and changed the cdi and coil, and it's running fine. I don't know if that actually had something to do with it, or it was just a fluke, but it runs good and strong with no popping.
  5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the NT Carburettor. It works surprisingly well when jetted correctly and is surprisingly reliable considering all of the negative comment labelled against it.
  6. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

reliable once the choke flap has been removed. easily jetted. the cutaway in the slide can be tweaked for idle mixture, needle can be tweaked for transition, and jet can be drilled/soldered for top end. and it has a total of 15 parts, max.

boring the throat slightly tapered helps things even more :D

easier to tweak than muck around swapping carbs and having problems with mounting, fuel supply, cable routing, new airfilter, etc etc.