popups for everything the mouse happens to pass over

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by crassius, Feb 6, 2016.

1. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

not too bad when on win9x, but on win8 the popups for everything the mouse happens to pass over are, getting REAL annoying - happened today over a pic that was in a post too

can not find how to shut these off in my settings

2. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I don't get those, tried google chrome and internet explorer both with no ad-blocking software didn't see any
  3. crassius

I get black windows popping up like tool-tips telling everything the mouse rolls over
  4. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

if you have extensions try disabling the extensions one by one and then reenable them one by one
  5. sbest

sbest Active Member

Google Chrome, love it!
  6. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

sounds like someone has been infected with dnsunlocker... do you also get redirected, and the current window starts up in a new tab?

check the bottom of the popups...if they say dnsunlocker, and happen on other sites... the best fix ive found is reinstallation. of your OS.

got your microsoft disc/key? you can download the ISO image of the required OS on the microsoft site if you got no disc... you need a legit key ;)

i dont use 8 or 9, so im no help there... but i found i could sidetrack this DNS thingy for a few days on 7, but then it would come back again. very insidious. antivirus dont work, its technically not a virus.. malwarebytes, roguekiller, hitman pro and something else do work...for about a week.

ive reverted back to mozilla, mainly because it allows you to pause and restart downloads, unlike chrome or IE... in fact, you can even turn your puter off and it will restart a download where it left off. very very handy. ever tried wasting 6GB of credit, downloading a 3GB file, that each time only loaded about 1/2 a GB then declared it was "completed"? i woke up and got the good old firefox again after a few years of not trying it...

i only use chrome occasionally now cus it has a few bookmarks and i couldnt be bothered copying them to foxy woxy yet...

this stuff never happens with linux, but that has its own can of worms to work your way through...
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  7. crassius

I run my own DNS with a REALLY robust hosts file - the popups are just some kind of note that comes up when mouse rolls past a forum saying what is in that forum or telling what options are available in a pic in a thread that the mouse goes past - this is definitely some kind of 'feature' of the forum s/w that is REALLY annoying.
  8. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

This is standard with the forum when you hover over links. If you hover over a forum link it tells you what the forum is about. If you hover over a thread it gives you a snippet of the thread so you know what it is about.
  9. crassius

guess it's just me then, it feels like something chasing my pointer around the screen