possible Briggs candidate for...

R

roozterdvx

Attachments

• 9749_1.jpg
    9749_1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 560
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I saw that too. Interesting. How big is it? Which direction does the final output shaft turn? What is the reduction ratio?

:cool:At 33lbs shipping weight, the engine probably weighs 27lbs, which is not too bad for a B&S engine.

It has a 6:1 gear reduction and 3600rpm max rpm.:eek:

That calculates to 12t/16t drive/driven sprockets.(STATON has 16t left-side freewheel sprocket and HD hub.)

At 3600rpm, top speed is 36mph.

Myron

:cool:Rooz, a centrifugal clutch would make this installation a cinch. The automatic transmissions did the same, when late-model V8's were transplanted into older vehicles(hotrods).

Myron

Well, with a 6:1 reduction, you would have to get a centrifugal clutch that engaged at somewhere around 300 to 350 shaft RPM (1800 to 2100 engine RPM). That ain't going to be easy.

I haven't started accumulating parts yet...I trying to do as much research as possible beforehand.

Is it possible to change springs in a clutch to change engagement rpm?

Another possibility I've been considering is using a standard Briggs engine and using a small gear reduction box much like Harley does with their trannys. This way, the clutch could be mounted to the engine output shaft, and primary chain drive to the gear box, secondary chain to the hub.

Depending on the clutch, there are usually springs that can adjust the engagement rpm- but down that far- I don't know. Gear reduction engines are usually used in applications where a centrifugal clutch is not used. I have never seen one go that low- might be out there though- I'm not saying I know the universe of clutches.

Another possibility would be a belt drive, using a tension roller as the clutch.

Back