Post Editing Window Time Limit

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by MotorBicycleRacing, May 6, 2009.

1. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Editing on posts is available for 24??? hours

Why does it need to be that long?

Could the editing window be reduced to maybe

3 hours?

2 hours?

The problem is that after you reply to someone they
    can edit their post to make your answer look rather
    foolish or completely delete the post.
    It isn't a major problem and only a few here abuse
    the long editing window.

Yes, I know you can quote the whole post but that is
    kinda annoying and still doesn't stop major editing.
    I like to only quote relevant points that I am answering.

Last edited: May 6, 2009

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

most of us are not on the computer as much as you are
    thus we may not notice that we wish to edit until return visit to thread and computer

not all will be happy at all times here -- this we know to be fact
    you want it 2, 3 hours or ??
    some would only want 10 minutes
    others a week

for important mess ups
    I have noticed that direct contact with a moderator -- they can if desired -- do wonders

ride that THING
  3. Tom

Tom Active Member

I have heard lots of people complaining both ways. A lot say that you should always be able to edit posts, some say you should NEVER be able to edit posts.

Since there are sound arguments on both sides of the equation, I'll leave it at the default level.
  4. azbill

azbill Active Member

the most diplomatic solution :cool2:
  5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I like the one day rule. A forum I was affiliated with had no editing time limits, and one very prolific poster got angry one day, and edited all of his posts to be just one character long. By doing so he utterly gutted the continuity of flow of every single thread he had posted in over a 4+ year history.

We learned a lesson, and set a limit of 12 hours, with a posted advisory to the members as to the policy change and why it was made. A few months later we had a woman who had, over 2_ years, posted her life story in installments in a thread she created try to delete all of that, then go ballistic when she found she could not.

She had sold the story, and wanted it off the net to further book sales. We went round and round with her, but in the end, the story is still on the site.

Policy needs to be set, clear, clearly known, and adhered to. I think the current one day is generous and fair.
  6. Mountainman

sounds too new agee to me but -- human nature I guess

here we are enjoying a motor bike site for free
    letting the admin deal with all of the headaches involved with the running of said site

and yet we think that we should be the ones to make changes

pretty funny as we ride those motor bike THINGS
  7. loquin

loquin Active Member

it does seem a bit ironic, eh?

If there's an obvious error on a post after the 24 hour limit, ask a mod, and they'll probably edit the post for you. But, remember that the posts that are made here increase the value of the site for all of us (well, MOST of 'em do, anyway:whistling:) So, bulk deletions are probably not in the works. Removing them WOULD mess up the conversations. As Mountainman said, a lot of us might post something one night, then, think about it, and decide that maybe they shouldn't have called him a horses a__ & want to remove that bit...:grin5:

And, remember this - the mods, if need be, can go back to the "scene of the crime," and see all the changes that were made to a post. (at least with the newer versions of the forum software that are now available.)
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  8. Mountainman

that's what happened

that's what happened with me at least once

I made a dumb mistake
    didn't notice it for a few days

asked a mod to please help me out of this mess

received a PM in a short while from mod -- stating -- done

that's service in times of need -- can happen to all of us I guess ??

9. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Yep. Just the sort of situation moderators are supposed to deal with. Heck, I once terrified LF by PM'ng him his personal info, which I knew he did NOT want public. I did that because I knew he didn't want it public, and he had over the course of lots of posts spread through about two years posting history on that forum revealed more than he had realized. The nature of my career was such that my mind just catalogs that sort of thing automatically, and when it reaches a sort of "critical mass" it becomes glaringly obvious.

So, I gave him a "head's up" message. He took me seriously, and together with an administrator of that site cleaned up his inadvertent release of information. He has been more careful since.

Site moderators/administrators are important to running a site well. If you liken a forum to a cruise ship, admin's are the officers, moderators are the department heads and petty officers. Everybody else is a passenger, enjoying the buffets and the amenities.
  10. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

I like the ability to edit posts. In fact it seems like I end up editing my long posts at least once due to errors or simply to add more information or clarify after I realized I forgot to address a question fully. As for people wanting to delete their posts weeks/months/years after the fact they should realize that by using a forum like this anything you post or upload essentially becomes the forums property to leave published as you created it for the benefit of all members and motored bikers abroad, even those lurkers who never sign up. It's just childish to do something like that in a kiddie tantrum anyways. If you think you're ideas and written word are valuable then by all means write a book, don't post here. I personally think motorized bikes need more R&D to perfect and therefore I will keep on posting my ideas so others may follow those paths even if I never get to.