Pre-Newbie in Phoenix

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tikihead, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Tikihead

Tikihead New Member

Hi all, have been researching motor kits for a while now, and I found your forum via GEBE (Golden Eagle Bike Engines). I am really leaning toward their kit, although its position demand creative solutions for bags and baskets.

I just bought a decent diamond frame 21 speed 26 inch tire MTB from Craigslist, so now I just need to decide finally on a kit!

2. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

After doing research and reading testimonials from GEBE owners, it seems like the GEBE system is hard to beat (although the China 2-stroke fans may argue that point some). That's ok, all I own are Chinese 2-stroke kits at the moment.
    Since you have a diamond frame bike, look into the Chinese engine kits, the ShellyBelly Whisper Drive kits, and the EZMotorbike Q-matic.
    ShellyBelly is developing a CVT transmission and EZMotorbike is developing a 2 speed transmission. Both due on the open market real soon.

3. Tikihead

Tikihead New Member

Bike Kits

Thanks for the info GearNut! I have been researching these for a couple months now, and have spoken with neighbors who have various setups (mostly Chinese kits). They all mention that these kits require constant vigilance and adjustment. That's what attracts me to the GEBE kist, despite their price.

Yeah, I was drooling over the Whisper Drive. The Qmatic I don't know much about, though I did chat briefly on another forum with the owner in Fountain Hills.

I currently ride an E bike from Electroportal.com called a Charger. It's range is not so hot, and I don't want to have to worry about recharging at my destination. Super fun bike otherwise, and almost maintenance free.

4. Tikihead

Tikihead New Member

My E bike

Here's a pic of my E bike.

Attached Files:

5. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

That's cool! I have never seen one of those before.
    What is the range on it?
    It looks like you could easily put a GEBE kit on it and have yourself a hybrid.

6. Tikihead

Tikihead New Member

That's a fun idea... I have already measured the frame -- it would fit.

7. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome from FH :)
    I think it was me you were talking to at 'the other' place ;)
    if you can make it out to my place, test rides are always available :)
    (I like watching others enjoy my bike as much as I do ;))

8. Tikihead

Tikihead New Member

That would be cool! What does your Sunday look like?

9. azbill

azbill Active Member

sorry, I am gonna be busy on the 4th...my daughter/grandkids want to do a garage sale after our recent move (Grampa got volunteered to help)

10. Tikihead

Tikihead New Member

My Charger E-Bike

I just found out by researching my e-bike (the Charger) was designed by the late great Paul McCready, who designed the Gossamer Albatross and Gossamer Albatross, the amazing human powered aircraft.

How cool is that? He was way ahead of his time with the e-bike, which was the first 'bionic' bike.

11. Tikihead

Tikihead New Member

In other news

I just received shipment confirmation for the Staton Inc. Inside Drive with the Robin Subaru 33.5 cc motor. Some creativity is needed in mounting the Inside Drive, but I think I can figure it out.

My bike is below, and my conception of the install with an under rack tank added.

Attached Files:

12. Tikihead

Tikihead New Member

Mouse-powered bike

I have been considering ways to make the bike more stealthy, and I had this idea for a pair of thin panels connected by threaded rods. Of course the graphics on the panels could be anything, but a mouse in a wheel seems fun.

Would there be heat problems with motor?

Attached Files:

13. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

There shouldn't be a heat problem as long as the panel does not cover up the air intake on the pull start/ fan shroud. Just by the way they are designed, that would be difficult to do with a flat panel anyways. If you fully box it in, front, back, top and sides, then you may run into problems. It will still need a good flow of fresh air circulating around to replace the heated air created.

14. Tikihead

Tikihead New Member

Staton Inside Drive Arrived Tuesday

I've had the new hub put on the rear wheel, gonna pic up the bike today. I built the motor mount this morning. You have to kind of customize the Inside Drive with metal stock. I used aluminum angle and 12 inch by 3/8 inch all thread.

Here's my diagram of how it'll go:

Attached Files:

15. Tikihead

Tikihead New Member

Been riding for more than a month now, and loving it. I had to redo the engine mounting, it's much simpler now. I have to keep an eye on it and adjust occasionally. I ride at about 25-27 mph, have had no problems with cops.