Problem: Engine dies when adding throttle

Bill555

Local time
5:25 AM
I've got the 33.5 subaru. The engine starts and idles well. And runs ok with just a little throttle. But dies with more. I tried changing the plug. Which didn't help. Any ideas?

Hi Bill
How old is it and how many miles/hours you got on it?
Was it in storage?
Those answers would help long distance diagnosing. :D

Rough guess: sounds like it's being starved for fuel/air.
Things you could check are, something in this order:
air filter
fuel filter
bad fuel
dirty carb
and....

thanks for the replys.

Happy Valley, I got it early last year and rode a season. I didn't put a terrible amount of miles on it last year. The engine hasn't had any real maintenance besides half a dozen oil changes and the spark plug I tried. In the winter I did start it once a month and topped off the tank with fresh gas.

Lately the bike has been peddled some without the motor on. I'm wondering if this could have dried some gas in the carb. It had been peddled for a few hours at a time. In high wind.

I've also had some trouble with the gas tank with this engine. The rubber where the tubes go into the tank doesn't fit snugly and leaks gas out. I've used epoxys which seem to work for a while, but it is obvious I'm not using the right product for the job. I kind of doubt this has anything to do with the problem I'm having now. But this blob of epoxy makes looking at the fuel filter a bit difficult. But the tank looks clean.

Maybe tomorrow my buddy can help me clean the carb.

That is correct. It is starved for fuel.

Dirty filter (take it out and check) or carb. Once you get it figured out add a see-through paper based filter and the problem should not return (if you don't have one already).

Also- hose clamp good- goo or epoxy- bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill I forgot to ask, what did the plug look like that you took out?
Light/dark, clean/carboned ?

Back