problem with magneto?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by resinmaster, Feb 19, 2014.

1. resinmaster

resinmaster New Member

hey guys, so I'm having issues getting a spark. I got good readings off both the CDI and magneto coil and yet for some reason my plug wont ignite. I tried even doing an unorthodox test by taking the boot off the wire and holding it with a wet thumb to see if I would get a zap. I believe I have tried everything in troubleshooting that I can. Any suggestions? DSCN0236.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

2. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Is your engine sitting at top dead centre in the photo, because if it is, then your problem can be easily fixed.

3. resinmaster

resinmaster New Member

idk how to tell if its center... are you talking about the piston?

4. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

If the piston is sitting at the very top of it's stroke, and if the magnet is positioned as shown in the photo, the problem is an easy fix.

5. resinmaster

resinmaster New Member

no, i just checked it, and when its centered, the magneto is as well. The magnet should be horizontal right?

6. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  7. resinmaster

resinmaster New Member

Im sure it is installed correctly, I haven't taken it off..

8. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean it has been incorrectly installed at the factory. Is the magnet correctly aligned with with crankshaft, as per the video tutorial?

9. resinmaster

resinmaster New Member

it was running fine then it backfired a few times and died out :/

10. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Is the magnet correctly aligned with with crankshaft, as per the video tutorial?

11. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

Your timing is probably off. It could be that the factory didn't tighten the magneto rotor nut, the magneto key was sheared or the magneto rotor was installed backwards.

Here's some information from Grubee about the magneto rotor timing: http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/Magneto Mystery.html

Good Luck,

Chris
    AKA: BigBlue

12. resinmaster

resinmaster New Member

I cant tell, but when the piston is at the top of its stroke, the wings are definitely facing straight out, not angled.

13. resinmaster

resinmaster New Member

it is installed right, I took the nut off and the key is at 1:00 at dead center.

14. V 35

V 35 Member

If it ran, than died, backfire * could * be a spark plug cracking Replace with known good plug . If * good * plug doesn't fire,
    kill switch could have fubared [ disconnect from circut ] , CDI box went bad, or mag coil shorted out.

15. resinmaster

resinmaster New Member

Is there a way to check a CDI without an ohms meter? I was able to use a car mechanics for a second and I was getting a reading from the blue and spark wire of 1.192. But I dont think I was getting anything off the blue and black..