Problem with throttle, locked on full throttle, help!

xRegginoy

Local time
7:28 PM
Hi all, well I recently got my first motored bike to work. If you guys have seen my thread in the frame mounted forum, you'd know it wasn't too long ago. The thread could be found here

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=21169

Well i'm actually having a problem with my throttle. Some how its locked on full throttle and I have tried just about everything to fix it. When I get the engine to start, playing with the throttle doesn't do anythiiiiiing. When I screw the throttle cable on to the engine, I can barely turn it, not as easy as when its not screwed on to the engine at all :p.

Heres a video of the throttle and what not, hope to find a solution asap. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xn9hYOK52Q

And also, if it wasn't obvious. I can't idle.

Last edited:
Check your cable routing inside the throttle grip. It should close all the way. Also, there is a groove in your carb slide that needs to line up with a tab inside the carb. Third, use the cable adjusters, the little screw things on each end of cable to take out all the slack on the outside of the cable. Last, you might need to have your carb level. It looks like it is leaned over to one side.

I am NOT an expert, but I just thought I saw a few thing to try.

I was thinking about your throttle, and it may be that you didn't drill a hole in your handle bar. When you take apart the throttle, there is a metal pin sticking down that you need to drill a hole for.

Thank you very much for your suggestions Sprocket777. You are indeed correct, I did not drill the hole in the handle bar. I didn't think it was necessary cause it worked originally without it. I'll look up one of the manuals to see how to get that done.

Would this fix the problem possibly? :geek:

your slide might me stuck in the carb, take it out and make sure there are no burrs on the slide that would keep it stuck at full. My wizzer did this, made for an interesting ride, I ended up filing it down and have not had an issue since

Wow! I think that might be it, still need to check. The slice is the part that goes inside the carb and comes after the spring and the needle and that split washer looking thing, right? :confused:

the slide is the thing that the needle spring washer and cable are all hooked up to, it is grey and has slots on each side

Glad you got it! Drilling the hole is easy. Just pick a slightly larger bit than the pin, mark the spot on your bar and drill. You may have to use a tiny drill bit to make an indentation for the larger bit to sit in.

Back