Tires Problems replacing rear tire. Help please

dogchow90

Local time
9:38 AM
I got a flat yesterday. i got a new inner tube. replacing went fine but after i put everything back the tire wobbled.:confused:
is there some thing i missed tightening something.besides the two nut on the outside.
if someone knows what i missed i will be grateful.:bowdown:

Often you must manually center the tire on the rim. Tires are not really self centering. Lubricating the bead of the tire with dish soap or WD40 helps though. On the side wall of the tire you should be able to see a rib going all around the edge. It is there to assist in visual inspection of this condition. The rib should have the same distance away from the edge of the rim all the way around. If it gets closer to the rim that at other spots, you will have an out of round condition. I typically run 5 to 10psi and bounce the tire on the ground to work the irregularities out until the rib is spaced evenly around the rim. Sometimes you need to pinch and pull on the tire to get it to move.

Hmm, I'm not thinking he's talking about tire.

Sounds to me like the nuts that hold into the axle bearings are loose. Just take your wheel off, and similar to GearNut, you also have to center the hub on the axle, it will drift around when you're tearing down the tire and everything. Don't over tighten it - just barely finger tight and then a little barely a nudge more should do it perfect. Also, be sure your axle is coming out of both sides of the hub at an equal distance - they really do travel when you're working on them off the bike.

And just for when you say " I already said, not the two nuts on the outside ", I am going to say that's marvelous, cause the two nuts on the true outside are the ones that keep the wheel attached to the bike. The next two are locking nuts that hold the nuts on the inside against the bearing race. I betcha that's what it is.

Y'know, I saw this thread and thought a new rider had gotten their first flat and wasn't sure what to do when they realized they couldn't flip it over! Later this afternoon I'm going to see how discussed that might have been in the past...

I only went flat once that I recall in my first year of riding, and I ended up picking up a carpet tack of all things! I was at the tire shop buying solid tires the next day.

There's a good chance that you just have a great local terrain, y'know. It's totally chance when you get a flat (80% of the time at least).

Back