problems wont idle or go as fast as it should and shuts off on me while im riding it

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by seanjamespage, Aug 28, 2016.

1. seanjamespage

seanjamespage New Member

hey im having a problem with my idle it wont idle or go as fast as it should and shuts off on me while im riding it i bought a 3 gallon gas tank for it i changed the spark plug and put a new one on it and looked at the carburetor put a diffrent fuel line looked at the Throttle cable tested it compression tests at 150

2. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

Need more info

Is it a 2 stroke? What fuel mix you running? Why'd you change everything? Have you adjusted the carbs idle? Pictures?

3. seanjamespage

seanjamespage New Member

it is a 2 stroke i mix 2 gallons to one little bottle i was trying to fix it i wanna extend the range of how far i can take it i tried every position with the idle switch

4. seanjamespage

seanjamespage New Member

here are my photos

Attached Files:

5. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

I have used 32:1 for many years on these (4oz per gallon). No idea what's in your bottle, but sure sounds like lack of oil is seizing it up. If so, I'd run a tank of 16:1 thru it just to polish out scuffing.

Frankfort MB's likes this.
  6. john morrow

john morrow Member

I agree with Cassius need more oil and check your carburetor to make sure it's level and tight.

7. seanjamespage

seanjamespage New Member

the carburetor is level and really tight on there and i checked the compression its reads at 160 and i doubled the oil

8. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

You need to know your oil ratio..... Don't just keep throwing oil at it

A oil bottle typically says how to do ratios on the side

9. seanjamespage

seanjamespage New Member

the oil ratio is 16:1

10. john morrow

john morrow Member

Check and see if you are getting spark.

Frankfort MB's likes this.
  11. seanjamespage

seanjamespage New Member

12. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

128 ounces per gallon
    1/20th of that is 6.4 ounces oil

13. seanjamespage

seanjamespage New Member

what are you trying to tell me ?

14. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

15. seanjamespage

seanjamespage New Member

it also won't go as fast and idle

16. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

click on my link and read and do

17. built_not_bought

built_not_bought New Member

Not sure her but, I have a similar looking fuel filter... But mine is the opposite direction, Is yours directional ??? Just a thought.

18. hazmat

hazmat New Member

your problem is in the carburetor u need to take off your carburetor and spray some chemtool or carb cleaner where all the fuel passages are should fix
    if your problem does not fix go to the next step and take out ur main jet and clean it with non abbrasive rag/tool/needle try not to scratch it up
    and in the future when u change fuel filters or gas tanks they sometimes may have dirt in them run fuel throu filters before install and clean gas tanks
    make sure water does not enter any fuel passages

19. PeteG

PeteG Guest

Your problem might be the ethanol content of the gas your using. Most gas vendors these days sell unleaded regular that has at least a 8-10% ethanol mix. Small 2-stroke engines do not run good on gas with ethanol in it. There are places fewer and far between that still sell 100% ethanol-free gas. Good luck on finding them.

20. Gryphon439

Gryphon439 New Member

If you want to find pure 100% gasoline, here's a great site to use.

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA

I'm having a similar issue where the engine will cut out after about 30 seconds of full-throttle at top speed. I'm thinking it could be ethanol or vacuum that is causing my issue. I'm running an 80 hp engine with the last tank of 16:1 ratio.