Product review- Bell flex view mirror

Sgt. Howard

Local time
6:32 AM
This item has just recently shown up at Wally World and a variety of variety stores, typically for $8 to $11- I got two at a discount toy clearing house for $3.19 a pop. They bolt onto your handle bar without tools of any sort presenting a 2 & 3/4" diameter convex mirror surface to see what is sneaking up on you... in theory... in practice, the feeble soft wires in the vinyl stem allow little stability and only hold the thing three inches away from the handlebar- you get a distorted, blurry close-up of whatever knuckles are present to the mirror and, oh yea, a vague dancing image of the road behind you... in the background... sorta...
Here's the bottom line. Even standing still with the motor at idle, these things vibrate enough to challenge anybody's vision. The only way to avoid a closeup of your hand is to hang them under the handlebar so that your hand and arm are out of the way. Since the malleable stem is held into socket mount and mirror by a single screw at each end, I am tempted to cut and bend aluminum rod of sufficient length and use THAT to connect the two and see if that's any better. Unless you are willing to buy something only to alter it considerably, don't bother.
the Old Sgt.

Bell flex mirror

Add to that- if you tool out an aluminum shaft to replace the flimsy plastic and wire trash, there's a good possibility the plastic base will crump on you. Just buy the metal bicycle mirrors and be done with it! I have never been so dissapointed with a Bell product before.
the Old Sgt.

Back