Progressive Talk Radio is DEAD! Hahahahahaaaaa!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by arceeguy, Jan 21, 2010.

1. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I love how they say that radio is a dying industry.

Tell that to Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity and O'Reilly. Limbaugh single handedly saved AM radio, as AM was dying when music on radio went almost exclusively on FM.

I guess their listeners (sparky, Happy Valley, MotorMac, bamabikeguy, etc.) weren't enough to keep them in business.

"Air America" - pfffft! More like "Aire Chavez"

What say you? :)

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I don't listen to either end of that spectrum. Only "talk radio" show I ever tune in is Garrison Keillor.
  3. Zev0

Zev0 Member

I watch Glen Beck. Good Feces
  4. kerf

kerf Guest

Tried to listen to Garrison Keillor once, stories are ok, sometimes funny, mostly boring. Conservative talk radio is much more stimulating, informative and just plain fun.

Did I mention NPR SUX
  5. SimpleSimon

I agree - 99% of the programming on NPR sucks dogs ballz. But then, so does 99% of all of the broadcast programming on any network, radio or television. In My Opinion only, of course.

While driving to LA, then north to Portland, Oregon in 2006 most of what I could get on the radio was "talk" radio - "conservative" talk radio. Savage, Limbaugh, Hannity, et al - I can tell you I laughed a lot at the idiocy I heard spewed, especially on Mike Savage's program. After that trip I even went to the local library and checked out two of Savage's books, because frankly, I had a difficult time believing the guy was NOT being deliberately hyperbolically psychotic.

He really is just that crazy - it wasn't an act. Reminded me of some of the stuff my Dad got from the Bircher's and The Nation when I was a kid - even then it was clear that the people saying those things inhabited a separate reality from mine.

My Dad's favorite non-Western movie of all time was Mel Gibson's Conspiracy Theory - I sometimes had the impression he thought it was a documentary. Don't get me wrong - I loved and respected my Dad, and learned an enormous amount from him and his older brother, my uncle Clint. It just so happens that I grew up with a differing view of the political reality we inhabit than he had - which isn't surprising, as he was totally a child of the great Depression, whereas I was a child of the '60's.

I got involved in "green" politics and action in 1968 in Portland, Oregon - helping clean up the banks of the Willamette River, which back then was a dangerous open sewer. I helped organize the clean up of the Molalla River watershed in 1970, post the 1969 winter floods that came close to destroying one of the finest trout and steelhead fisheries in north America. The biggest single human contributor to that flooding was the Georgia-Pacific corporation, whose logging policies ran draglines right out into the river bed on its upper reaches - the subsequent destruction was appalling, and in the end it cost Georgia-Pacific the biggest (at that time) single court levied penalty in US history. All of that was during my adolescence, and I witnessed and participated in the power of collective action by concerned citizens to effect environmental change. By 1980 the Willamette was cleaned up, and safe to swim in at Portland. That wasn't governments produced, it was the product of concerned people who loved the land they lived on, and the rivers running through it.

I believe in the power of concerned citizens to effect change, which is why I welcome and support the Tea Party movement, whilst eschewing some of the things associated with it. Anymore, I just don't have the energy or the good health to invest in action outside my own narrow little corner of the world. Heck, I cannot even see well enough to return to reading books onto tape for the Amercican Association for the Blind, which I used to do.

I was in my car a good bit today, so (unlike my usual practice) I turned on the radio and hunted for talk radio shows, thinking about this thread. What little I listened to (Rush, then Beck) showed me I was far better off with the radio silent as it usually is. So, I turned it off.
  6. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

simon... what do you think of the direction greenpeace and the sierra club have gone???
  7. SimpleSimon

Completely wrong, and utterly unproductive toward their putative goals.

Experience has taught that with the correct approach, motivating pretty much average citizens to become involved in effective environmental action is both doable and productive of good results. Unfortunately, any such organization tends, like all human organizations, to become bureaucratic. When that occurs, real goals shift to the empowerment and enrichment of those controlling the organization, and while publicly stated goals may remain focussed upon laudable ideas, one need only follow the money to know the truth.

It is a shame, because the original goals were good, attainable, and beneficial to all.
  8. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

yep... that's how I see it too.
  9. retromike3

retromike3 Member

Green peace?

Back when I owned a little bike shop I gave to green peace but only once. I started to see that they were way off the mark. You can only get things done if you can come up with solutions not just point out the problems. If they spent half the time working on how to fix the problems instead of just looking good they might have more of my sympathy.

As for Error America good riddance! I don't think I ever heard one positive thing ever come out of that network. I can get depressed on my own thank you. There is one thing I wished was that Error America was a Co-op so that Al Franken wouldn't have any money to steal his seat.

Mike Frye the bike guy