Project 'Purple Haze' is a go. Stretched Schwinn stingray + 212cc Honda clone

Whats up everyone. I am starting an official build thread for my new project I am dubbing Purple Haze.

-Frame is/was a 2009ish Schwinn OCC Chopper Stingray
-Engine is a 212cc Honda clone (aka Predator aka Harbor freight engine)
-CVT clutch/transmission

Today I started with stretching the frame. Added 6 1/2" to the top tube and split the down tubes:

Today was its last day of looking like this (next to my real bike):

20150512_130707.jpg

Pre-chop:

20150512_173453.jpg

Mock up of the new top tube length:

20150512_180146.jpg

Plated under the the headtube gusset and added split down tubes:

20150512_190947.jpg

All welded up, going to clean everything and have it powder coated once all the fab work is done:

20150512_192159.jpg

Roller:

20150512_192632.jpg

Still waiting on CVT, sprockets, and twist throttle to arrive.

In the works to make in the near future:

-6" to 8" over springer front end
-7/8" bars
-exhaust with annoying dinging rain flapper
-sissy bar
-foot rests
-lots of other little junk

Well that's it for now boys, what do you think???

Tim

looks killer, but for legal reasons it might be a good idea to put pedals on it. you won't need them with a predator but unless you're registering this as a custom built motorcycle and getting a vin # and tag on it you will almost certainly be harassed by the police for going without pedals.

looks killer, but for legal reasons it might be a good idea to put pedals on it. you won't need them with a predator but unless you're registering this as a custom built motorcycle and getting a vin # and tag on it you will almost certainly be harassed by the police for going without pedals.

Can't argue with that. How functional do said pedals need to be? Can I just use the cranks and pedals as foot rests or do they need to spin?

The answer to that would depend on how much scrutiny you want your build to stand up to.. going past a police car on the other side of the road, pedals as pegs is probably good enough but I would be guessing that you would be buggered if you got pulled up and they were not in some way attached to the drive train.

Maybe another project (with your skills) could be to recreate a compact V-twin version of this recreation of the original Flying Merkel,

e0b2e3753d3d40ce9dc2935d911b46f4-d7relzw.jpg

or a recreation of the Verdel, with a minaturised 100cc 5 cylinder radial engine,

3077830551_6a60567b7d_o.jpg

Those bikes are awesome. The radial engine is really cool. I definitely plan to build more bikes when time allows. Right now I'm in the midst of buying a home and building an Audi race car... among countless other projects. I am sure I will be hooked on the custom bicycles for quite some time... just like my motorcycles but alot cheaper!

I guess with the small amount of public road use this will see, I might just use the pedals for foot rests and take my chances. It's mainly to bring to get togethers and stuff like that, if I ride on the street it will most always be my cruiser.

I dig it. Not the motors final resting spot but you get the idea.
20150513_122101.jpg

Probably will use the stock seat with some springs or something for a more back friendly ride
20150513_123237.jpg

yeah with your weight almost over the rear wheel you will get jarred pretty good without any suspension

if he's ever ridden a hardtail before he'll know what to expect

I sure am familiar with the feeling. As a joke last year, I brought that bike to our local chair lift serviced mountain bike park. We did an open downhill race and I rode that thing down from the top of the mountain, terrifying. I did not win the race but I did win over some hearts. Theres a picture floating around somewhere. I'll try to find it!

Back