Project: speed

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by alex, Jul 16, 2008.

1. alex

alex Guest

I put this build in the white zone, because at this point I don't know if it will have pedals, therefore it can't be called a motorized bicycle.
    Tell me what you think
    It's a cross between a royal enfield tricycle and an unknown mountain bike.
    The engine is a4-stroke Lifan 50cc 3-speed semi-auto clutch. Rated at 7.1 hp
    I'm thinking towards the cafe' racer kinda look.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008

2. Zev0

Zev0 Member

If it's not a motorized bicycle it does not belong in the forum anyplace.
  3. azbill

azbill Active Member

he said that was why it is in the white zone (the off topic area)
  4. alex

alex Guest

I just finished welding the bottom motor brackets (I'll get pics soon, my camera is on the fritz) now I'll have to work on the other two brackets. And I'm waiting to find the time to go and buy the metal to make my gas tank.
  5. wiring

So if it doesn't pedal we can't consider it a motored bicycle? Even if it once was a bike? :???:

that being said do you you have a wiring diagram for that engine? Mine looks a lot like it- a 4 stroke 49 cc loncin doing 8000rpm and rated for around 4hp. I've been looking for some sort of wiring set up for it but I've been drawing a blank- my google-fu is coming up short on this one.
  6. jahmez20

jahmez20 Member

Looks like fun, albeit scary fun with no seat, but heck, no pedals no seat..... No service? DO IT BABY, DO IT!
  7. alex

alex Guest

8. you rock

thanks! that looks about right!:cool:
  9. alex

alex Guest

10. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I think you're going to want some shocks, at least on the front of that thing. When speeds aproach 50, you may discover that you aren't touching the ground a whole lot.
  11. Yeah I hear that, these little pocket bike engines are WIDE WIDE WIDE. I'm running in to the same issue with my build- I want peddles but they aren't looking like they are going to fit.

Is there a vendor who sells really wide cranks?
  12. kerf

kerf Guest

I've thought about one of those rack mounted, no pedal issues.
  13. awwww man

awwww man, they look so bad a$$ in the frame though- just like a mini motorcycle... Even when I put it in dry fit, no mounts just sitting on the bottom tube I wanted to ride it.:p

That and there are SO many modifications available for them online- want more RPM? Theres a plug on for that, different sprocket, an easy swap for that too, you want anodized billet? On what? air filters, covers etc.

One note though, these motors aren't just wide they are long and heavy. Mine's a 49 cc and it weighs a good 25+ pounds and around 2+ feet in length. It might off balance the rear of the bike to have one rack mount really make the center of gravity odd. Just a thought
  14. alex

alex Guest

Mine is a 50cc and it comes in at a little over 40 lbs! Hey comfortableshoes, where do you get the performance parts for these engines? Is there a website? (Just so I can start dreaming).

And for my chain to line up, I have to put the motor over to one side of the frame by about a half-inch, so my bike will be leaning over, unless I can counter the weight of the motor by weight of the battery. Speaking of batteries, do any of you guys know how many cranking amps I need for the electric start on this engine?

I couldn't imagine one of these engines rack-mounted, I wouldn't want 40+ pounds that high up on the bike.
  15. alex

alex Guest

16. scooterparts4less has a lot of parts for it, if you do a google search for the X7 pocketbike you'll find a lot of add ons for them.

Both these sites have parts. I've ordered from, he has super fast shipping but a complete lack of customer service- I've been waiting a week to see if I can return a part. :( I got my parts in 2 days but no response on the numerous emails. BUT he's got all the parts for my scooter...
  17. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I don't know how many cranking amps you'll need. I just bought the cheapest little battery NAPA sells for Snow Machines. It cranks the engine over just fine.
  18. graucho

graucho Active Member

White zone is off topic area, from picking your nose to muslecars.
    Hi alex. Great start! Below is a kit bike I have that is very simular to your engine set up. This mini will do 60mph (4 speed no clutch) I HIGHLY recomend beefing up the frame any way you can. Your engine will definetly twist a bike frame without extra support. Also your rear sproket/axle will need to be solid. (not attached to the spokes) Id recomend a wheel set up with 10 ga spokes from the wheelmaster.
    As far as parts go... go to e-bay and type in "mini chopper" and you will find everything you could possibly want for your set-up. Ive bought hundreds of parts there when I was building mini's. Im only stressing safety from experience. Your engine has almost twice the beef as a normal 49cc bike engine. :cool:

Attached Files:

19. conradcliff

conradcliff Member

That kit bike is freakin awesome looking! What do you think about it's reliability? Has the engine given you any trouble?
    Also, this engine is stated as being a 110cc is it not the same?
    Is the engine I linked to a piece of junk or something? Why is it so cheap for so much power?
  20. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

These engines are relatively inexpensive. I'm not familiar with the Gio brand, but it looks identical to my Lifan (Honda clone). I paid about $250 delivered to Alaska. Right around 4,000 miles on it now.