Proposed additions to the word censor list

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by butterbean, Apr 15, 2014.

1. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

The word "Fat", when used to describe a person who is overweight, is just as hateful as any other slur, be it racial or sexual in nature. I propose that we add the word fat and any synonyms/alternate spellings to the list. Calling people "fat" does nothing to improve the hobby or the community.

2. augustine

augustine Banned

I don't think a choice of being fat, equals something you can't help like color.Fat is a choice, that's why it's looked down upon, race has no choice.

3. butterbean

This includes words like fat, pudgy, lardass, tub of lard, fat f*ck, and many others.

4. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll be any less offended if someone calls you f*t than if they called you fat. Censoring words doesn't censor intentions.

5. butterbean

Making someone take extra effort to circumvent the censor software is at least some consolation.

6. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

What happens to the words "fat bike" and "fat trike" and "fat torque curve" and "fat jetting"...

7. butterbean

I don't really see a lot of people using those phrases. Maybe fat tires, and it's ok but it's not ok to use a hateful word directed towards another person. I don't care what the word is, it's not ok. Using the word fat to describe an overweight person is just as discriminatory as the "N" word.

8. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

but the word "fat" can be a positive term, particularly when used by a woman in glowing context - now where's my cheeky smirk emoticon.

9. butre

butre Well-Known Member

Not really, as far as I know black guy can't diet himself white like a fat guy can diet himself skinny.

I'm 200+ pounds myself and I have no problem with being fat, or at least I'm sure as hell not going to change it to make some stranger halfway across the country happy. Stop taking offense to it and it won't be an issue.

Barry likes this.
  10. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I tend to agree

11. butterbean

Yes, it's true that an overweight person can lose weight. But it's not as if you can just snap your fingers and drop a lot of weight and people will stop calling you names overnight. I have no problem with my body the way it is either, and it's never stopped me with the women either. I don't mean to brag, but I can't count how many on both hands, and sometimes I even forget one or two. But my problem is someone calling me fat over and over again. It gets under my skin after awhile. No, what makes it even worse is people who have never seen what I look like in person. When I say my weight online, people assume that I'm disgustingly fat and can't touch my toes or see my polliwog or get out of bed. And if they were face to face, number one wouldn't describe me as fat and number two wouldn't have the cajones to say it to my face. When you're online and someone ****es you off, you take something you think you know about them and twist it into something you can use against them. Number one, that's childish. Number two, it's called cyber-bullying. Making fun of someone's physical condition does not make you smarter or better than them. It makes you a childish brat. Perhaps saying that the word fat is discriminatory is wrong, but it is just as hateful as any other slur. The fact that someone can stop being overweight has nothing to do with it. And I'm sure as **** not going to lose weight just so people will stop calling me fat. For one thing, the people who harass me on here would keep doing it even if I did lose the weight. For two, I should not have to change myself to please other people. If you have a problem with overweight people, you should just gouge your ****ing eyes out because guess what, if you want to find a fat person just throw a ****ing stone in any direction. Even if I'm "choosing" to be "fat", it does not give anyone the right to judge me or criticize me. Besides for health reasons, what is wrong with being overweight? Because it's unattractive? If you see something you don't like, don't look at it or keep your opinion to yourself. I have my opinions about people I see in public, but I keep it to myself and I've been working hard at being less judgmental of people in general. Even in my own private thoughts, I've no right to judge or criticize, especially not based on ANYTHING to do with physical appearance. It's worse online, because you don't even have to LOOK at a person unless they post pictures of themselves, which I do not on here, and yet it's easier to be hateful to people from behind a computer screen than it is in real life. But overall, I agree that I should not let others opinions offend me. Hell, my own brother lives with me and doesn't even like my tattoos (he has two himself but says tattoos are stupid) but I make no attempt to hide my tattoos from him. But it did bother me that he kept saying that to me over and over again, and I almost kicked him out partly because of that. There were other reasons too, but we worked things out. Anyway, I should just stop caring what people are tough enough to say from behind a computer screen.

12. butterbean

Consider this for a moment. Tattoos are a choice. So is whether for a man to grow or shave his facial hair. So is a hairstyle, type of clothing, what phone you choose to own. Discriminating against any of those things would not only be wrong, it would be ridiculous. They have nothing to do with who you are or what you can offer as a person. Neither does being overweight. Having a choice in the thing you are being discriminated against for does not make it something other than discrimination.

13. butterbean

I'm no longer suggesting that the word be censored.

14. butterbean

Next time someone gives you crap, smile and privately sentence them to a personal purgatory of your design. It's working beautifully for me right now.

15. augustine

augustine Banned

I've been turned down for jobs because of my tatts and beard, it's an employers right.There are certian jobs where being overweight diqualifies you.Discrimintion means, it's something you can't change, gender, race, not overweight or smoker or beard or longhair or tatts.

16. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Standing back from a distance, some might say that this thread is an exercise in semantics, but one could be forgiven for interpreting the commotion as the sound of hot air being blown around a small space with numerous exits; all ending back in the same place; only for the process to be repeated.

17. butterbean

I have ADD, so my process can be extremely jumbled at times. The end result is, I'm over it.

18. butterbean

To elaborate, not only is my process jumbled at times, I also become fixated on issues to various degrees. This one was something else though. On a scale of one to 10, this was about a 17. It was quite a bad one.

19. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Now that you've explained things, i completely understand your situation.

It's all good.

20. butterbean