pull start locked up engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen7689

Local time
8:23 PM
I installed the pullstart on my 80 and it seems to keep getting stuck and locked up and it won't let be push the bike backwards any suggestions?

The pull start is not pulling back from the crankshaft, think of how the starter motor works on a car. Need to take it off and see why its not pulling back or disengaging.

Pull starts naturally prevent backwards motion. The arms return to the "catch" position while the engine isn't spinning. Once the pull start engages with the adapter that's attached to the magnet the nature is to lock to the adapter when pulled on (turning the pulley clockwise on the motor.)

Naturally this works in both directions, so rolling the bike backwards with the clutch engaged will lock the magnet up along the prongs in the pull start, and the end of the cord prevents the pulley from turning any further. Using your clutch will release the back wheel from the motor and you can roll it as desired.

Oh, also there's 2 bolts that hold the arms, they both need grinding down, they catch otherwise. You'll find that the pull start handle will get popped off from time to time, the motor will roll backwards for a small second when shutting down usually. The backward roll yanks the pull starter (which is usually already pulled tight by the spring inside) and that yanks the handle hard enough it breaks it.

We usually replace all rope components with brake cable, and adjust the tension and rope length to prevent the handle from being up against the housing. Then the pull back from the motor is partially absorbed, haven't had a break yet by doing this. Most (if not all) credit goes to my friend for spending his time with at least a dozen pull starts for the last year or 2 trying to figure out what needs what.

Avoid plastic internal pull starts if you can, they break easily and are basically not repairable. They lack certain points needed for proper modification.

Thanks Frankenstein about your comments on the pull starters I was having similar issues with mine and now I have a better, more reliable starter. Thanks again, the internet has once again saved my sanity!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back