Pull Start pull start not easy to pull

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by wan37, Jan 6, 2013.

1. wan37

wan37 Member

I have a bgf z280 and I put a pull start on it,and it is very hard to pull it. If I'm not careful it can lift the whole bike up when trying to pull.I put it on right too.Just like my other and it's easy to pull.Anybody have any Idea's to make it easy to pull,or work right.

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

take out the spark plug & pull it several times, then look inside for rub marks

3. wan37

wan37 Member

I installed it like my other one.It's not rubbing no where it's the crank is hard to pull.I will double check but i'm really sure it's not rubbing.Any other idea's will help.I have it like this:magnet on shaft washer then pull start wheel then nut,then pull start cover.I also have the lock washers off the magneto.Any help would be great!!I do thank you Crassius..

4. crassius

if you've got two bikes there, then turn the back wheel on both to see if there's any diff in compression - if so, you might want to add a 2nd head gasket

5. wan37

wan37 Member

The older bike has a 48cc sky hawk and the pull start works great easy to pull.Now the newer bgf 66cc is the hard one to hard to pull.I put a thicker head gasket on it thinking along the lines as you.I special ordered it from bgf but it didn't help.It is as thick as two of the stock ones at least.I am stumped here!

6. crassius

that still doesn't tell you if one is easier to turn form the back tire or not

if one is easier to turn, then you need to look for why

if they are the same to turn, you need to swap pull start units from one to the other to see if that helps

not a job for a lazy man

7. wan37

wan37 Member

well
    it doesn't matter which pull start I use the bgf engine is harder to turn back wheel.I'm thinking it just might need to be broken it more....

8. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

My next door neighbour had the same problem you are describing: lifting the bike off the ground trying to turn the engine over with the pull start, then whinging and complaining that the pull start is no good.
    He was about to take the pull start off his bike, when i walked over and started the engine with the first pull of the starter cord.

The pull start is not the problem - it's quite likely that the other engine does not have as much compression and I'm thinking that your starting technique is more of the problem.

9. wan37

wan37 Member

fabian tell me how to pull it then...please.

10. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter how i try and explain it, because moderators are already hovering over my head; like vultures ready to dive in on a carcass and consume it with glorious fervor.

Anything i say will have me banned for life :devilish:

11. keatonx

keatonx Member

Since I dont have moderators hovering over my head (or atleast I don't think so lol:jester:)-

To pull it properly, grab the starter with your good hand, put your other hand on the bike or step on your pedal to hold down the bike, and pull. When you pull, pull slowly until you feel the starter grab the engine (get stiff), then pull hard. This prevents damage to the starter. And don't pull up with both hands to your chest/face and stop. Pull with one hand, up across your chest and to the side of your body so that you have the longest pull length.

Ok that was pretty technical for such a small action:rolleyes7:

You want pull resistance, because that means compression. and compression means POWER!!!!!!!!!

12. wan37

wan37 Member

Thats easy to say.It's very hard to pull.If I don't have foot or hand on bike
    i can lift it by the pull start rope.I do know how they work but it's no go on this one.I also have a skyhawk engine with a pull start and it works fine.

13. geebt48cc

geebt48cc Member

Wan, is it stock compression?...............(If it's higher compression, you better look out?!)

I would like to have one, but with a high compression head, I'm told that I would be wasting my $$$................

Glen.

14. wan37

wan37 Member

yes it's stock z280cc.I also ordered a thicker head gasket it's twice as thick as the normal one and it's still very hard too pull.

15. wan37

wan37 Member

I wish someone would tell how to get it easier to pull?I wonder if I could put another thick head gasket on without really losing power or hurting the engine.I can pull it slow but it's not fast enough to start it.I pulled hard last night and broke the pull start.

16. crassius

have you considered pulling an old compression release off a dead moped and fitting it to your head?

17. wan37

wan37 Member

I think for now I will just pedal start it when I get better weather,but wanted the pull start for father he's almost 70.He just can't stand up and pedal.So I will modify the skyhawk engine bike for him.
    It has a pull start and it's fairly easy too pull.Thanks guys.