Tubes Puncture Free Tire?

I've got kevlar reinforced street tires on my bike that can hold 110psi, tho I've only got them at 50psi or so. I have a thorn-resistant tube for my back tire and the stock tube is still in the front. I have a liner on both sides of the inner tube... one on the tire side, one on the spoke side.

I'm not afraid of flats anymore. I only need to check my tire pressure every other week or so, and I have no problem with that.

I've ridden over all kinds of broken glass in the past week alone, at least a handful of times... one of those times was on purpose, only 'cause I knew I'd get away with it.

I live out in the country seven miles from the nearest town. The roads here are smooth, but are often surrounded by open field and expose you to strong winds. That's why I like road bikes and that is what I motorized. I own a few old '70s Schwinn Continentals and have lots of extra parts for them.
I got two thorn-resistant tubes for my MB. They are Bontrager 27 x 1 1/4 and are extra thick on the entire tube. They make the wheels much heavier! But I found that I can pump 35 lbs in a tube, outside of the tire, before it starts to swell. Anyone who deals with these old steel schwinn rims knows that the rim walls are straight and dont grip the tire beads well. So if you go more than 70 psi or so, the bead can blow out and explode the tube. These extra thick tubes really help that situation. With normal tubes, I would typically inflate to 40 to 50 psi and then check/adjust the way the bead is seating. Then I'd inflate to about 75 max. With these tubes, the tube is hardly pushing against the tire until about 50 psi. I feel totally comfortable inflating them to 90+ psi. That's fine for me, I weigh under 200 lbs. For heavier people, 70 psi on these skinny tires/rims would probably be flirting with rim flats, and these thick tubes can really help out, motored or not.

I've also used the Bell "Kevlar" tires from WalM***. Funny, the box (and/or tire) says that the tire is nylon belted with a steel bead. So where's the Kevlar? Maybe the outermost belt is Kevlar, the rest nylon. Dunno.

BTW, speaking of explosions. Doing maintenance this last winter, I pumped up my wheel with a brand-new tire and tube. The compressor was out in the garage where the temp was below freezing. I brought the inflated (about 65 psi) tire down in the basement. While I was upstairs about 15 minutes later, the tube exploded and I couldn't believe how loud it was! I suspect that it was from the heat expansion. Would have to do the math. Temperature, pressure, volume. Convert to Kelvin. Oh well, maybe it was a bad tube.

Yes.. I have done it..

Yes.. I have run the No mores.. I do not care for the handling. What I do is, when I get a flat, I fix the flat, and I take an old Tube and cut out the valve stem, and slit the inside of it and use it to line my good tube. If I ever get another flat, I fix it, and get another old tube and make another liner so then I have two liners, I keep doing this until the flats stop. Usually at 2 liners. Handling is still great and no more flats !!! Enjoy the ride...

How many of you guys have taken the extra step to install a puncture free tire? ......

On this topic I've been upselling the Bell double thick, pre-slimed inner tubes. That with a kevlar tires and good rim liner.

Also with this set-up one can go with a higher psi pressure with confidence. The higher psi (especially if your's are only half filled) will give your bike safer and more sport like handing abilities. Plus it really helps to keep the rim true and saves it from much abuse.

Michael

Last edited:
BTW, speaking of explosions. Doing maintenance this last winter, I pumped up my wheel with a brand-new tire and tube. The compressor was out in the garage where the temp was below freezing. I brought the inflated (about 65 psi) tire down in the basement. While I was upstairs about 15 minutes later, the tube exploded and I couldn't believe how loud it was! I suspect that it was from the heat expansion. Would have to do the math. Temperature, pressure, volume. Convert to Kelvin. Oh well, maybe it was a bad tube.

Indeed.:eek: The tire was filled with 65psi of really cold air which then expanded to who knows what psi at room temp.

I'm glad you were not bent over it at the time. At the very least you would have wrecked good pair of grundies.

Michael

Question: Say I don't like the handling...how do you get the tires with the no-more-flats off?

Duane: It's already HOT here in FL. 93 degrees today, and I'm sure the roads are hotter. I'm about 215lbs...how much pressure for my tire so I can ride 20-25mph without constantly worrying about a blowout? (Assume Slime tubes or the Bell double thick, pre-slimed inner tubes)

Thanks, Mark

I'm repeating this question in case you're not monitoring my original tire thread: I got the tire and No-More-Flats on...well about 98%. There's a 1 inch section that no matter how many times I tuck it in with the flathead, pops right out a second later.

My hands are SO sore! I hope someone can tell me an easy way to fix this cause I'm REALLY stumped.

Perhaps try two or three flatheads or other similar flat objects???

You should forget the nomore flats, tho. Buy kevlar tires, and liners for both sides of a regular inner tube. I bought a thorn-resistant tire for the back tire to be extra sure i don't have to replace it... but I'm fairly certain that a regular cheap inner tube woulda worked just fine.

Then you'll only have to check tire pressure every couple weeks... and you'll get a much smoother ride!

Back