Push Trailer #3...This time I got it

lowracer

Local time
8:01 PM
My track record building push trailers up until now has been poor but I aint no quitter...lol
This project started out as a pusher for a skateboard, then morphed into a pusher for a bicycle.
The two variables I changed from my previous two unsuccessful outings were:
- Wheel size
- Hitch mounting point
My new push trailer uses a 12" kids bike wheel (not a 26") and is mounted to the axle (not the seatpost).
Also I got the trailer offset to compensate for the engine weight and very well balanced.
This one also has a sliding mechanism to adjust the trailer wheelbase. I'll be playing with different lengths to see what the differences are. Also this trailer has adjustable angles via two steerer stems used in the unique mount to further experiment with hitch swivel angles (BOB trailers have a forward angle opposite of a bicycle steering tube angle).
The engine is a Tanaka PF3300 (32cc) using a Pocketbike 5:1 transmission w/10T cog, 18T rear cog on 12" wheel (12" outside tire diameter). Body of the pusher is an old CroMo bicycle fork, 2 threadless stems, One 27.2mm seatpost shaft, a shim to 28.6, a 1" seatpost from kids bike, & seatstay from a donor Cannondale M500 I found being thrown out.
The only thing I had to buy was a $10 kids bike on Craigs List (for rear wheel) & a Tandem brake cable to run the 90+" from throttle to trailer.
Here are a few pics of what it looks like now & a link (to the other forum) where this project began.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44279
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• motorized pusher 13.jpg
    motorized pusher 13.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 4,158
  • motorized pusher 12.jpg
    motorized pusher 12.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 2,216
  • motorized pusher 11.jpg
    motorized pusher 11.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 2,639
  • motorized pusher 10.jpg
    motorized pusher 10.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 3,236
Last edited:
Got the chain flying off problem worked out & got a good ride on it today.
To my chagrin, When I got back from a 10 mile ride, I noticed that my rear tire got bald all of a sudden.
Heres a pic.
It had knobbies when I started my test drive.
Seems like theres not enough weight on this rig to keep the tire from spinning madly.
Oh well...Three oughta do me, done!
LOL
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• motorized pusher 25.jpg
    motorized pusher 25.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 1,932
  • motorized pusher 21.jpg
    motorized pusher 21.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 2,225
  • motorized pusher 20.jpg
    motorized pusher 20.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 3,876
  • motorized pusher 24.jpg
    motorized pusher 24.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 2,989
I dismanted the push trailer today & turned it into a motorized skateboard.
Here are a few pics.
I was thinking of going wider & installing the subframe onto a beach 'Skim Board'.
I also found a broken Razor E325 scooter for sale for $20 & will pick it up on Sunday. I'm thinking using this engine & trans to power the scooter & ditch the busted electronics & batteries.
Cheers
-low-

Attachments

• Motorized skateboard7.jpg
    Motorized skateboard7.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 1,608
  • Motorized skateboard11.jpg
    Motorized skateboard11.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 1,521
  • Motorized skateboard10.jpg
    Motorized skateboard10.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 1,494
  • Motorized skateboard9.jpg
    Motorized skateboard9.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 1,473
  • razor-E325-electric-scooter.jpg
    razor-E325-electric-scooter.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,485
I bought & picked up the Razoer e325 scooter today.
The Craigs List seller lived 1/2 mile from my house, so I decided to ride the motorized bicycle for awhile, then stop by his house with the MB.
I held the scooter handlebars with my left hand & piloted the MB with my right....no issues getting home.
Now I'll be removing the Tanaka PF3300 from the motorized pusher to convert the scooter from electric to gas powered.
My goal is to get max 30 mph & will decide which sort of chain drive to use & gearing (stock scooter #25 chain or convert to BMX 410 chain).
This thread is done & I'll start a new one for the scooter build...
-lowracer-

You almost had it. I had a very similar lightweight pusher that spun the tire all the time too til I switched it to a seatpost hitch. Like I've written many times here before, the trailer pushes up toward the higher seatpost position and makes traction for itself that way. It solved my problem completely. I think pushers are ideal when built correctly. Very clever construction with the bike components by the way. I admire your constant experimentation.

Thanks Dennis...
I didnt care for the seatpost mount due to the 'tractor trailer' effect.
The axle mount would be ideal if just pulling a loaded trailer behind the bike.
I think I'll be building an axle mount pull behind trailer to transport my 2 gallon gas can back & forth from the no-ethanol gas station, 7 miles from my home.
It will look something like this...(see pic)
I'm also onto a new project of converting a stand-up e-scooter to gas power.
I'll start a new thread for it shortly.
-lowracer-

Attachments

• CargoTrailer1.jpg
    CargoTrailer1.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 1,939
Last edited:
Back