Put wrong oil in tank

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Jtifford, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Jtifford

Jtifford New Member

accidentoy ran 20:1 ratio with marine oil and not motor oil. Engine doesn't run aswell already replaced carborator what should I do

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

not sure what you're saying

marine 2-cycle oil won't take extreme temperatures, but shouldn't hurt the motor, motor oil that isn't 2-stroke oil might hurt the motor, and 20:1 ratio on a motor that is past the break-in period could gum up the rings

none of these things needs a carb change
  3. Well before I put it in it was working perfect and now it doesn't go up big hills, I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help this because I thought the oil was the issue because it might be too dense.
  4. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

ive even ran gearbox/diff oil without issues...other than the smell! oil is oil, but 2 stroke specific oils just have certain additives based on their use.

so many things that it could be, but the oil? no.

spark plug? blocked exhaust? less oil (20:1 is a tad thick)? crank seals? blocked air filter? hills gotten steeper?:p

stop using additives and hi octane fuel, all it does it lighten your wallet(which i guess should help you go faster)
    DanTheDIYGuy likes this.
  5. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

if it is just out of break-in period, it may have gone richer - go back to original carb and try dropping the needle in the carb a notch or two - if problem gets worse, try raising needle a bit to see if it was too lean
    Frankfort MB's likes this.
  6. I had a similar but completely opposite situation on a WaveRunner, Search ding dong took the Waverunner out and stopped at a Marina and pump gas into the oil tank.
    Immediately realize what he did called home where we were. I drove back slowly and we pulled it up on the dry dock. Change the fuel filter, the oil filter, bled all the lines flush them out Refule refill the oil . A little bit of butter and a minute or two later papa papa papa Started running just like it was. Now I don't know how that's going to help you but there is hope.
  7. Sorry for typos I was using voice recognition.
  8. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

Works terrible if you have an accent:

Cozmik Mezzenger likes this.
  9. butre

butre Well-Known Member

modern voice recognition picks up my thick cajun accent pretty nicely
  10. Cozmik Mezzenger

Cozmik Mezzenger New Member

11. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

Cozmik Mezzenger likes this.