Putting a motor on a Raleigh folding bike. Can it be done?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Captaintomford, May 27, 2016.

1. Captaintomford

Captaintomford New Member

So I am new to all of this and decided to ask the experts their opinion before I spend any money on this project. I have a Raleigh folding bike (pictured below) and I want to put a motor on it. I have no preferences on motors other than I'd like to use a gas motor. I did find a motor I was interested in (http://www.amazon.com/Seeutek-Bicyc...TF8&qid=1464382543&sr=8-8&keywords=bike+motor) but I'm not sure if it will fit onto this frame.

2. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Active Member

And what did the experts say? ;) lol

I can't see your picture, by the way, only really tiny on your profile picture by your username. If the frame folds in half sideways, which side ends up being the inside and which the outside?
    I would have a good read of the "rack mounted engines" sub forum. Maybe a rack (above rear wheel) or hub (left side of rear wheel) mount would suit.

3. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

i dont have permission to view this media :'(

if its your avatar, well...probably, though you might have to change the carb manifold as it looks like the engine will be tilted forwards 45 degrees from the norm.

4. Hive

Hive Member

You didn't?

5. Hive

Hive Member

I would be interested in whether or not you added motor, especially if a GEBE motor, which should work if the ring requirements are met, meaning at 8.5 inches from axle, fork tubes are 3 3/8 inches or more apart.

Reason in I am close to doing same on 20-inch wheel folder...

6. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

You have to open the permissions up so we can see your photo. Go public unless it's naked.
    I have a couple electric folders and am pretty sure I could mount a gas motor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]