PVC bike/cart

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Scottm, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Scottm

Scottm Guest

A friend of mine found this and asked if i could put a motor on it, since it has the option for an electric motor. http://www.americanspeedster.com/sun_coaster.htm
    http://www.americanspeedster.com/index.htm

I don't see a rear axle, I just see a chain going to the right rear wheel. The power of A gas motor would cause the cart to pull to one side or the other. All these cart styles involve the car being made from PVC. I don't see PVC holding up to the strees and vibration.

You all seem to see more stuff than I do. What do you think.

2. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

The website states..... "The sun Coaster seat is 27" wide and can carry driver and passenger with a total weight of 200 lbs."

WOW, driver AND passenger weight of 200lbs? I think you would be hard pressed to find two adults together who weigh in under 200lbs.

Anyways, I am thinking it could or would not handle the stress of the engine.

3. jmccrury

jmccrury Member

I don't think the PVC would hold up to all the vibration / stress of a motor either, but that is a cool little ride and it's not real expensive. They also had another model that could hold up to 400lbs. I'm thinking the plans could easily be modified to fit a lot of applications even without purchasing theirs. I feel a new project coming on.:grin:

4. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

You know...

PVC and the cement used to bond it together is aweful cheap these days! Could make for a nice cheap project!

5. I would do a trailer in PVC but that would be all. If I would build a bike like that it would be with metal pipes.

6. jmccrury

jmccrury Member

I thought about using metal pipes too, but that would make it very heavy. The website says that they reinforce the lower pipes with steel tubes. I would like to see what type of tube they use.

7. I looked at those as a potential before I started "OFERKILL". BUT, I wanted somthing I knew would handel me weight. I just dontthink the pvc can. I looked at a rhodes car made of 1 inch box and the even seems to weak. on the good side with pvc you would not need suspension, it would flex enough to make it a soft ride.:grin:

8. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

i work for a water company, ill make ya a god deal on parts but dont tell anybody!

9. hAY WAVY, WHAT ABOUT A FOUNTAIN BIKE. ATACH A FRICTION DRIVE TO THE PUMP,PUT THE FOUNTAIN ON BACK. iF YOU HAVE A GOOD TAIL WIND IT WILL COOL YOU OFF,. JUST PARK IT IN THE RAIN TO REFILL.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. sorry about yelling my caps lock stuck didnt notice tilltolate

11. mark2yahu

mark2yahu Member

amazing. they can build a bike out of pvc. the only limiting factor would be rider weight.

12. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Junkyard Wars

I see a new episode in the making. Wavy, how big of a pipe would be needed if we could seal it up and make it amphibious and still hold a rider up in the water? Put the motor up high with the chain going down. We could have paddles attached to the axle.
    With 3 or 4 inch pipes, it'd almost look like bumper cars.:lol:

13. jmccrury

jmccrury Member