Quality Fade on Chrome Cylinder Lining

I

Irish John

Yet again I have to report another attrocious quality fade on the HT motor. This one was from ZBox - new in January and was a 48cc. it was the same motor that I posted a thread recently: Cannot get HT to fire up
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=19407
and the reason it wouldn't fire up was it didn't have enough compression because the chrome lining on the cylinder had flaked off about 40% of the cylinder bore or 85% of the part that the piston makes contact with.
The motor belonged to a 66 year old man who doesn't go fast.
This sort of quality fade is an all time classic among many I have reported over the years. The cylinder is a throw out of course. Take a look at the pictures because they are pretty disgusting.

Attachments

• PICT0080.JPG
    PICT0080.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 262
  • PICT0079.JPG
    PICT0079.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 257
  • PICT0078.JPG
    PICT0078.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 262
Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty bad, but the vendor should make good on such a defect. Let us know if they make good or not. If he wants continued support from members of this forum I imagine he will make it right.

Pretty bad,get the owner to complain to Warren(with pics)
The least he should do is replace it out of "goodwill",freight $'s excluded.......you must lead a difficult life. :D

That's right Fetor - life's not easy when you have been entrusted by the rest of the world to expose shonky chinese manufacturing tricks. I don't get much sleep!:geek:
Thankfully it can probably be fixed with Genuine Blue Compression Powder made by Obadiah Ackroyd & Sons, Pontefract, Yorks.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=198244&postcount=39

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you check the Johnson rods? Usually with a cylinder that worn they are worn too. I haven't seen blue compression powder in what seems like forever. I think the last time I used any was when I adjusted my Binotz fittings. I couldn't get the clearance tight enough and had used up an entire tin of Prop wash trying to sort it out. The blue compression powder was just what the doctor ordered.

Last edited:
Yes Clotho the Johnson rods are good as is the KP1 agitator but that prop wash you mention is hard to come by unless you buy it at that hardware store in Shonksville,Texas that also does a roaring trade in helicopter ejector seats.

Thats nasty, I replaced my top end at 3000km because their was a 1/4'' square area that the chrome wore off nothin compared to you're cylinder..........

reminds me of when back in the day i would have tried some "Yale overhaul pellets".
remember them? drop a couple of pellets in your spark plug openings via a little red cardboard tube and voila~ your engine has been rebuilt!
i miss the days when there were miracle kits and chemicals for all mechanical problems.
haha

Thankfully it can probably be fixed with Genuine Blue Compression Powder made by Obadiah Ackroyd & Sons, Pontefract, Yorks.

http://www.applegate.co.uk/company/11/01/462.htm

Irish, they seem to be still around, employing 101 - 250 employees, but have since omitted 1st names and have moved to greener pastures.
You might still be in luck.
I did phone and the receptionists did say she was a traineee ( with some very heavy accent) and not sure of the full product range as yet.
When I repeated, BLUE COMPRESSION, so she can understand a bit better, she sneezed, so I think she may have been looking at something

I then asked her name and if she was alright, she hung up.
If you call that number Irish, maybe you can make some better moves than me, but she definately sneezed, so she may have looked at something, not knowing ya cannot leave the opened bag of Blue Compression open unused for too long. It is mildly toxic.

Back