Quarkdudes 1995 Diamond Back 80cc KingsMotor engine (PICS)

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by quarkdude, Jul 20, 2007.

1. quarkdude

quarkdude Guest

Here is the screamin 1995 Diamond Back Mountain bike with the 4 mods listed on the Newbie page.

Here is another view of the bike. Summer in New Mexico, great riding weather.

Here is the other side. I just noticed that I didn't have the stainless intake or the aftermarket intake cover on at this time. I'll have to take some more pics with the mods on.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2007

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

nice lookin ride
    looks fast

3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

good looking build...no chain tensioner, lucky you :)

(be mindful of stretch, it happens pretty quickly & not always evenly)

4. quarkdude

quarkdude Guest

I tried the chain tensioner and it just kept binding more than I liked, so I took it off. I had to take some links out of the stock chain to get it where it is now. Not too difficult. I was worried about chain stretch also, but I have had no problems with this setup.

5. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

awesome bike!!! Just to see a bike without the tensioner is like a trophy!!
    (all of mine need it for clearance issues)

you can always shim your engine forward as the chain stretches. (thank motorbikemike for that tip 8) )

6. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Nice! Looks like a screamer.

7. quarkdude

quarkdude Guest

:grin: Thanks for all the positive feedback on the bike. Here in Albuquerque, this is the only motorized bike I have seen ( my own ). It would be really cool to see another one here in town. Maybe sometime in the future I might try to build another bike of my own design using a custom built carbon fiber frame. I thought it would look really unique if I could custom make some fairings for the carbon fiber frame idea and have it look something like a Suzuki GSXR but using the 80cc engine as the powerplant. :grin:

8. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

I ride around in Rio Rancho its just too far to go to ABQ intown.

9. davidsis

davidsis Guest

Nice bike

I have a speedometer just like that. What do you have the tire size chosen on yours, and is it set correctly. You know the numbers on calibrating it.

10. quarkdude

quarkdude Guest

Hello davidsis,
    I set the 26 inch tire setting on the speedometer and verified it with a radar speed limit sign we have near my house and they were the exact same number - 27mph on the digital speedometer display and on the radar screen. I tried it at a low speed against the radar, a medium speed and a high speed over 30 mph and it was right on with the radar everytime. I was curious how accurate those magnetic pickup speedometers are - I feel pretty confident now that it is accurate.
    ................quarkdude

11. mefonz

mefonz Guest

:D Looks kewl, how many miles without the chain tensioner? :smile:

12. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

Looks great quarkdude, nice and clean 8)

13. quarkdude

quarkdude Guest

Hello mefonz,

I have roughly 500 miles on the bike currently. I have heard these engines can go for about 6000 miles. So, 6000miles (minus) 500miles (minus) Modifcations (minus) quarkdude abuse = I hope for 2500 miles. ha ha ha.
    ..................quarkdude

14. That's the very same bike I picked up today! I'm so glad it all went together for you.
    How did you do the controls? I know there's already a lot going on before the engine install with the gear changers and front and rear brakes.
    Did you go with the throttle or a thumb pull?

15. How do you know where on the spokes to put the magnet for the speedo? I have mine pretty much in the middle...

16. drimpact

drimpact Member

The magnet/sensor counts revolutions. It does not matter where on the spoke you put it as long as the sensor reeds the magnet. It just clicks revolutions, then the computer calculates speed using the circumference of the tire and the number of clicks per sampling period.

I had the same question and was educated by a bicycle master who laughing at me the whole time made me figure it out for myself.one revolution is one revolution whether at the axle or the tire. One is just going a whole lot faster :D

17. Jim H

Jim H Guest

Nice ride ya got there...plenty braking power, looks like she'll scoot.

18. quarkdude

quarkdude Guest

:eek:That's pretty cool you just picked up the same bike. Mine has been working really well. To answer your question on the controls, I mounted the clutch lever on the left side of the handlebar with the clutch arm facing down towards the ground to clear the brake lever which is out front on the left side and then the standard twist throttle that comes with the kit on the right side. I have the twist grip gear changers, so the stuff that came with the engine kit bolted on really nice. I thought about a thumb throttle but the twist throttle seems to work well enough.:rolleyes:

19. quarkdude

quarkdude Guest

:cool:Thanks a bunch. The brakes do work really well - they are the V-Brake style. The bike is pretty light so it definitely scoots. Not the most comfortable seating to handlebar geometry but saves on fuel costs a lot which makes up for it. I just ordered a Boost Bottle to see how they react to a Chinese 80cc engine. I'll take some pics after I get it installed and I'll send a forum report out if it works good for the MBc group.:cool: