Question about Honda Island Hopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

binkie

Local time
4:05 AM
Last month as a newby I received some great advice from you all. I'm still saving to get a motor for my mountain bike. While browsing the net I found the Honda Island Hopper GX-31 kit. A friend's nephew has offerred to install whatever I buy for me. I really enjoy riding my bike and am just looking for a motor to assist me since I am an older grandma and have knee problems. Do you think this motor would be a good one to buy for what I want?

Thanks!
binkie

Binkie, I bought a Honda GX35 about 3 or 4 weeks ago. It's mounted on a friction drive set up from bikemotorparts.com. It's a sweet little engine. A little less power than I would like. My bike and I weigh close to 300 lbs. combined. If your combined weight is 200 lbs. or less you'll probably be very happy with it. I've had no issues with the engine or the drive kit.

on some hills you may have to pedal a little so as to assist motor

should be maybe 3 times easier than just pedalling up most hills ??

hopefully Porkchop will get back with you before long

MM

Thanks MM! I do want to have enough power when I need it but don't want to depend on the motor all the time. While I continue saving, I'll keep researching too.

Thanks eastwoodo4 - don't know what that is but sure will check it out.

hard to beat it for all round riding motor or not

Thanks MM! I do want to have enough power when I need it but don't want to depend on the motor all the time. While I continue saving, I'll keep researching too.

hard to beat it for all round riding motor or not
and very very super simple

the good old friction drive

when THINGS are dry outside ((having had no rain)) we have a nice little motor bike
working all so fine at getting us from point A to point B with no break downs
and very nice for when we just wish to ride bicycle
a simple lifting of the drive unit -- approx time required 3 seconds
and we have a bicycle with ((no drag)) what so ever from the engine

it's a sweet super simple mb thing

My Harbor Freight 50cc 2 stroke with a 1.25" roller pulls way better than the Honda GX35cc 4 stroke with a 1" roller. No comparison. However I put my money on the Honda as far as longevity ! And for what it's worth, the Honda takes me about 12 miles on a tank full of gas. (factory mounted tank) I don't remember the calculations but I think it was about 100-120 MPG. I personaly don't think you'd go wrong in choosing any of the Japanese engines in the 35cc - 50cc range.

..... PC .....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back