Question about mounting horn

maptester

Local time
5:41 AM
I am having a problem with the sound of the horn being 'dampened' after it is mounted. I have tried using two bolts on the mounting stem, so the body of the horn doesn't touch the bracket, and it still sounds muted. Someone suggested putting a spring between the horn and the bracket, which helped some. If I test the horn with it hanging from the wiring, it is extremely loud. This horn is a cheap aftermarket round horn, no plastic trumpet, with a single threaded stud on the back for mounting.

I wonder if it's just a case of nobody ever thinking to see how it sounds installed on a bike. I would not be surprised to learn that it was never tested when designed.
Do you have a link or pic?

So I guess there is nothing isolating the horn from the mounting bracket. I guess you have to come up with a way. Maybe a few rubber washers or "o-rings" but the nut will still make contact.
Is there a small adjusting screw somewhere on the unit, fine tuning it may help. I know car horns used to have a screw.

Hey, I know, what about one of those black plastic mounts that come with most headlights that mount on the bars. They have rubber on the inside and if you remove the light, the horn can mount to it!

Last edited:
I think it does have an adjusting screw--I'll try that first. I have used some plastic mounts in the past, and they usually fatigue and break after a month or two.

I am also going to try running the full 48v from the battery pack through the horn, so I can get rid of the small 12v SLA battery I added just for the horn. I'll post my results after these changes.

12v to 48v is a large jump in voltage. I don't know what the tolerances on a horn is but I would guess you're gonna have a fried horn soon. I would suggest maybe a large resistor of some sort or a current regulator... or maybe looking for an electric scooter horn rated to 48v.

Also,
You may want to try a relay to be sure ALL the power is making it to the horn.
I use a relay on my horn like that and it has PLENTY of sound. I use relays on my lighting too.
WC

Just a quick update. I got a 36v/48v from a local forklift supply. Heavy duty horn and mount, nice loud sound.

Ahhh! I never thought about forklifts! Yeah those horns are DAMM loud.
Ride safe!

Back