Question about Staton Hub ??

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by seanhan, Aug 30, 2008.

1. seanhan

seanhan Member

Can you by a 26" wheel from Staton with the Hub allready on it.
    There web site has no pics of the wheels...
    Would rather buy one from them then go to my Local everything cost $ 1000.00 Bike shop.

2. ocscully

ocscully Member

They used to offer wheels and had pictures of them on their site, but they appear to have disappeared. They do still seem to offer all of the parts necessary to make up a wheel so I'm sure they must be able to sell you a complete wheel. You should give them a call on Tues. and see what they have to offer?

ocscully

3. seanhan

seanhan Member

Yes I found the wheels under Chain drive kits, on the bottom of the page there are more page numbers page 2 has pictures....

4. kerf

kerf Guest

Unless something has changed you can purchase just a rear hub, hub & rim or the hub laced into the rim. I bought a 48 spoke Ryno Lite double walled rim with the rear hub already installed. It's been perfect and I would recommend getting the finished product from Staton if available. I have broken two spokes in an accident and rode the bike several times before finding the damage. The wheel was still true.

5. jg767

jg767 Member

I have the same48 spoke wheel, seems ok, just wondering how it compares with the 12g 36spoke.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  6. kerf

kerf Guest

I have a 12 GA, 36 spoke on the front wheel, they both work very well. Other than that I don't know what difference to talk about, either it works or it doesn't.

7. jg767

jg767 Member

Well, 32 spoke taiwan wheels worked ok until I motorized the bike , then I had spoke breakage,with the GEBE kit. With the staton, I am concerned with the wheels' capccity to handle the heavier weight of the gearbox, I'm hopeful that the 48 spoke will do the trick, I guess time and miles will tell.

8. az cra-z

az cra-z Guest

I was changing the tire on my 48-spoke Staton wheel and noticed two spokes broken, the two exactly opposite the valve hole. Glad I caught it, would probably never had known otherwise, the wheel rolled nice and round.

9. jg767

jg767 Member

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep an eye on the spokes. Did they break at the nipples? Glad to hear that the rim stayed true. Sir Jakesus had some spoke b reakage also, He's using a nuvinci hub. Do you have a nuvinci also?

10. az cra-z

az cra-z Guest

Nope, at the hub end. In fact, I've never seen a spoke break anywhere else.

Not a NuVinci, just a regular Staton hub.

11. Big Blue

Big Blue Member

The wheel already set up & complete ? how moch for a 48 spoke set up? I just want to bolt it up,no other wheel work!

12. RogerS

RogerS Member

I just got one from them with my engine kit. Complete hub with sprocket for their drive, 26" rim, and 12 gage spokes all assembeled and ready to go.$77.00, even includes new axel nuts. Take your old wheel off, transfere your sprocket set to the new wheel and put it on the bike. From the time I opened the boxes until my first ride was 3 hours.

13. kerf

kerf Guest

You got a deal as the Staton hub is $129 alone.

14. Big Blue

Big Blue Member

I think he is talking about with a kit purchase price for a wheel the hub comes with a kit .RogerS, if you want to buy the sprocket cassette also for 15.00 would it all be assembled and ready to bolt on?then it would be 77.00 + 15.00 = 92.00 Right?

15. kerf

kerf Guest

If you want to purchase a complete Staton wheel it would be:

Wheel $77.50
    Hub $129.50
    7 Spd Freewheel $15.95
    16 Tooth ACS LH Freewheel $20.00

Total $242.95 + Shipping

If I'm wrong, straighten me out.

16. RogerS

RogerS Member

With the purchase of my engine kit the assembled wheel with the left hand Staton freewheel sprocket on there hub was $77.00. I went to my local bike shop and purchased the splined socket ($8.00) to remove my casset and install it on the Staton hub. I'm sure the bike shop would have changed it for me for say $15.00.

17. kerf

kerf Guest

Please refer to post #1, the question was the purchase of the wheel only. I'm aware that certain parts of the rear wheel assembly are included with the entire chain drive kit.

18. pumpbuilder

pumpbuilder Member

So with all this stuff plus the engine kit itself what was the true price then of your kit with all the right parts?

19. kerf

kerf Guest

5 1/2 to 11 1/4

20. jg767

jg767 Member

The wheel and the 7 speed freewheel are the only extra charges if you are already buying the kit, he sends it alredy assembled.