question about the gas mixture

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jeffspeeder, Mar 27, 2007.

1. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

im not so smart with this gas and oil mixture and the math it includes but what mixture should the 80cc motor have after break in? and can u tell me in an easyer way so i can understand this math.lol

2. dzdaz

dzdaz Guest

mix ratio

http://www.vulcanonline.org/gasoil.php3
    I'm pretty new to this and don't know that much about the fuel mixes yet, but according to thatsdax i found out that i should just keep my mix at the same 20:1 ratio after break in. i also found the above addy very helpfull for measuring different mixes. hope that helps ya some.

3. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

mine right now i just found out is 40:1 its weedwacker oil is that good for the motor or should i get a different kind?

4. dzdaz

dzdaz Guest

if you have a 2 stroke engine, i think any 2 stroke oil will work. you should probably find out what the manufacturer of your engine recommends to be sure of the gas/oil mix ratio. in my manual from thatsdax it said to mix mine at 25:1 during break in. on his website it said 20:1 for break in and after break in. I have read thru other posts in here tho that said some people use different mixes, i have no idea why to be honest. some of these other guys no A LOT more about this stuff than me. I'm just a beginner. lol

5. dzdaz

dzdaz Guest

heck i found 8oz of 2 stroke oil at the dollar store for a buck and it works fine for me.

6. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

on a new engine, I'd run 25:1 for a few tanks. IMO 40:1 is okay after break in. I run a tank of 50:1 once in a while. 8)

7. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

ya

i got 100 miles on it hoow long intill i should keep the breaking ratio on it?

8. dzdaz

dzdaz Guest

9. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

ok i can tell it is really running good now after 100 miles

10. Guest

Guest Guest

After break in (actually a couple hundred miles should be more than sufficient) you can run at 40/1.

Any good name brand two stroke oil for AIR COOLED ENGINES is good.

Don't use the stuff for outbaord motors.

Synthetic you can run at 50/1 after break in.

Running too much oil in a two stroke is as bad as too little, but for different reasons. You WILL make a massive carbon build up, which will ruin plugs first, but eventually it will clog the exhaust, make the ring(s) stick (really bad) and more.

11. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

im at 40:1 right now

12. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

did you break in at 40:1 ?

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Sounds good. I buy Penzoil for air cooled engines 99% of the time.

We (Dad and I) have run the Penzoil (inexpensive) and a bunch of other very expensive sythetic in the ultralights (40-65 HP twin cylinder airplane engines, two stokes, both water and air cooled) And there is virtually no difference. Soooo, it's Penzoil for air cooled engines for us.

I also use the Penzoil in my Yamaha scooter, weedwacker,
    chainsaw and baby rototiller.

Nothin's blown up yet and it gets real quiet when they do in the air!

14. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

ya i broke it in at 40;1

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Against the recommended mix from the distributor...but you'll probably be glad you did.

20/1 is just too much oil. That much oil (especially non-synthetic cheap dollars store stuff :cry: ) will cause carbon build up and that clogs plugs and exhaust, plus the rings will stick and then the whole thing goes "boom".

I'd bet a dollar if any of you running non-synthetic at 20/1 take your head off at 500 miles there will be considerable carbon build up on the piston. What do the plugs in these things look like after 500? almost solid with black oily carbon I'd bet.

The engines come from China, where the oil used it very low quality. They may still need the 50's tech 20/1 mix for break in but modern oils have changed in the last 10 years especially.

I changed the gearbox oil on a few Chinese "e-bay scooters" and the stuff that came out (new) was very bad and "un-oil-like".

There's a reason they call it Yak snot.

16. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

the thing runs like a beast with the 40;1 mixture i might keep it like that for a while mabey drop to 30;1 later mabey

17. Guest

Guest Guest

If it runs good at 40/1 why would you go to 30/1? That will only give you less power and an increase in oil consumption. Not to mention the carbon build up.....oh, I just did.

18. jeffspeeder

jeffspeeder Guest

well today i went to the store i baught some 2 stroke chainsaw oil im running at 50;1 now

19. Guest

Guest Guest

What kind did you buy? Is it synthetic? If it's not, I'd stay @ 40/1.

20. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

my input: i have 800+ miles on a great-starting & great-running engine.

i use briggs & stratton "easy mix" at 36:1. i mix one gallon of regular gas to one 3.5oz bottle. it is easy to use & i have no complaints.

i use a hotter ngk b6hs gapped at .025

when i replaced the jug-gasket, everything was really clean and moving smoothly, with no looseness or undue wear.