Exhaust quick, cheap HT exhaust fix

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by bluegoatwoods, May 17, 2008.

  1. bluegoatwoods

    bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

    A week or two back my daughter took my wife's bike for a ride. The total was about 20 miles. The bike made it almost home and she pedalled the rest of the way and said "Daddy, mom's bike quit running."

    Turns out that a lot of stuff vibrated loose and fell off. Among the stuff that fell off was the guts of the muffler. It's somewhere in the grass along the side of the road and I'm not bothering to look for it. Maybe I should've. Mighta gotten lucky. But anyway I figured I'd just order a new one. But there is the time issue. Don't like waiting. And since I had nothing to lose I decided to try to do something with what's left of the muffler I still have.

    One part of the fix will be a little hard to explain, but you'll get the idea I'm sure.
    I'd upload photos, but my kids have destroyed my camera. (And this and that, but that's another story)

    I went down to Lowe's and bought a muffler for a garden tractor. It's cylindrical, about 4 in. long and less than 2 in. wide. It mounts to the tractors exhaust by 3/4 in. pipe threads. Muffler has the female half of the threads. Also bought a pipe nipple, same size. Total cost was 5 bucks or so.

    I took the exhaust assembly that came with the engine and cut off the muffler right at the top end. Where the bent tube enters the muffler.

    I then put the nipple in a vise and made two length wise cuts with a sawzall about half-way. The cuts might be viewed as "X"-shaped. So one end of the nipple is now, in effect, four tabs. I bent these tabs out, slid in the exhaust tube from the kit and clamped these four tabs down around it. There was still gaps this way, so I sealed the gaps with exhaust system sealer.

    The new muffler now threads onto the end of the nipple sticking out of the chrome.

    And it is so loud that I don't think there's any difference between it and no muffler at all. So I pulled it off and stuffed some stainless-steel wool in it. Definitely a bit better. So I then stuffed in more steel wool to the point that blowing through it I can tell a definite difference in air flow.

    Now the bike is just as quiet as with the stock muffler. It sounds just fine.

    And this muffler has a narrower profile than the stock one. There is no clearance issue between this muffler and the pedal at all. Plenty of room.

    I suppose I'll still order a new muffler. But now I can do it when I feel like it.
    There's no big rush.

  2. Your children need to buy you a new camera lol.
  3. bluegoatwoods

    bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

    they sure do. and a bunch of other things. And my girls are really pretty mild. yet I'm still amazed at how destructive they can be. It's really incredible.
    Oh well....they're still pretty fun to have around. It could be worse :)
  4. will_start

    will_start Member

  5. bluegoatwoods

    bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

    The idea came to me through some thread here on MBC. I wish I could credit the suggestor, but I have no memory of who that might be. I don't think it was the thread you linked to above, because that one seemed new to me. That was some good thinking in a bad spot, by the way.

    Also, I didn't use actual steel wool. The stuff I used is marketed as a pot scrubber. It's constructed like steel wool, with a bunch of fibers in a ball. But the individual fibers are not tiny little wires, they are small strips of stainless steel. They're less than 1 mm wide and paper thin. Seemed like a good material for this use.
  6. kjparker

    kjparker Member

    Wait till they hit puberty and discover boys. Then tell us againb how much fun they are! :)
  7. will_start

    will_start Member

    I used "Pot Scrubber" Steel Wool, direct from the Super Market. Which actually looks like
  8. bluegoatwoods

    bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

    An update;

    Yesterday my daughter took the bike out for a ride and called me a few miles from home saying that the muffler had fallen off. Turns out that merely clamping the modified pipe nipple onto the stock exhaust was not strong enough.

    I had wondered if this would turn out to be the weak link in this set up. The answer is yes.

    but the fix is simple enough; I drilled a hole straight through the overlap, put a bolt through, smeared on exhaust system sealer. I also put the clamp back on for a little extra strength, though it's probably not actually needed.

    I'm pretty sure that this is enough to fix it once and for all. But if there are any other complications, I'll post 'em.