quick exhaust from emt condiuit

Local time
1:02 PM
made a simple exhaust header pipe from a scrap of emt conduit - Lowes despot kind of store

1/2" emt is a nice fit inside the cut off pipe that came with my engine kit - which incidentally i bought from http://www.enginesonlineshop.com/ - it was by far the least expensive i found at $139.00 (11-??-2013) and there was a black friday sale at $129 and as far as i can tell all the kits are identical-

i cut off the stock pipe with a sawzall - in my case i left about an inch- next time i will probablly leave more
i cut off the muffler leaving as much straight pipe as possible - not much it turns out

i bent my emt using a conduit bender - after my first bend i simply scooted the bender along the conduit without removing it from the bender and bent it again - next time i will also twist the conduit a little so it will clear the handle of the bender and give the pipe the clearance it needs when istalled

then i cut the straight end off the curved pipe i just made and inserted it into the loosely mounted pipe end, held the pipe in place along the frame, and marked the pipe and flange with a marker so i could line it up to weld it later

i welded around the pipe at a low setting - (i use a fan to blow away fumes when i weld glavanized- we can argue about that some where else- i certainly don't blame anyone for not wanting to breathe that noxious smoke) my flux core system is not affected as much by coatings as far as the weld goes

then i strapped the long pipe to the frame - i tuned up the bend by stepping in the pipe in various ways and even standing on the bend a pulling up on the pie for a more spiral effect to get the correct angle

welded on the muffler - will likely cut the pipe down after i burn myself a few times...

Attachments

• exhaust longshot.JPG
    exhaust longshot.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 1,854
  • exhaust 1.jpeg
    exhaust 1.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,921
  • bender.JPG
    bender.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,155
Yeah I always liked benders with the sight right on them. Bent conduit for 30 years I know lots of tricks. For really smaller radius you can use your shoe bender like a hickey bender.

im glad im not the only one using emt as my exhaust pipe. :cool:

the exhausts on my bike are actually made of emt. there a bit loud but they get the job done:

what is a hickey bender?

Yeah I always liked benders with the sight right on them. Bent conduit for 30 years I know lots of tricks. For really smaller radius you can use your shoe bender like a hickey bender.

what is a hickey bender? and how do i use my bender like it?
will my mom approve?

HICKEY-BENDER.jpg
image017.jpg

The NEC requires 1/2 conduit have a minimum of a 5" radius in a 90° bend. With the hickey bender the radius could be made larger or smaller. Another thing on your bender the lines for the sight right are the center of the bend for that angle. This means you can place the angle exactly where you want it. You can also turn the bender either way on the pipe. Helps a lot in bending 4 point saddles in that you can keep the saddle in front of the shoe for all 4 bends.

Yes I think your mom will approve. May do a video on bending techniques soon. EMT is fine for what you used it for. However for things like handle bars use IMC. You'd need a 3/4 bender to bend 1/2 IMC.

Last edited by a moderator:
If one must weld conduit it is best to use IMC since its made out of aluminium. You'd need a 3/4 EMT bender to bend 1/2 inch IMC. I imagine with your muffler way up in the air it moves around a lot. 1/2 EMT is very flexible. I'm sure in time you'll be bringing it down. IMC or rigid either one is thick enough to be treaded. Just some other options to consider.

Last edited:
by welding EMT/galvanized metal you risk what is know as metal fume fever!!!!!

http://www.aws.org/technical/facts/FACT-25.pdf
do this at your own risk to your health and life!!!!

Drinking a glass of milk before and after welding galvanized is supposed to stop this, this is what all the guys who make a living welding etc. say.

One time I was welding galvanized for around 15-20 mins straight, in a room with all the doors closed, and my face was hovering over the weld. (Forgot about the whole fume fever thing). Let's just say I got carried away and chugged all the milk in the house :giggle:

I was fine!

(I'm not responsible if anyone gets sick because of this advice)

Last edited:
If one must weld conduit it is best to use IMC since its made out of aluminium. You'd need a 3/4 EMT bender to bend 1/2 inch IMC. I imagine with your muffler way up in the air it moves around a lot. 1/2 EMT is very flexible. I'm sure in time you'll be bringing it down. IMC or rigid either one is thick enough to be treaded. Just some other options to consider.
ok now just what type of welder do we use to weld IMC??? arc... fluxcore... gase mig.. if gas mig what gas mix and wire... TIG... what voltage AC or DC and what gas mix?

What we need is a source of * ungalvanized * E M T Does such a thing exist ? I remember a bike that had the muffler cap drilled, and an automotive tail pipe tip, sounded wicked good at speed, looked cool when parked.

Back