quick question

Discussion in 'Friction Drive' started by 1985 honda man, Jul 3, 2008.

1. 1985 honda man

1985 honda man New Member

i am building my own friction drive setup and wanted to know what size of roller(custom) that i am going to need. i have a 20" wheel. anything well help thanks

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

Hi -- with a 26" wheel I am using a 1" roller -- not that great in math -- how does that work out with a 20" wheel -- just a guess --- maybe a 3/4 in. ?? More speed with a 7/8 --- my top speed 23 mph --- my engine 35cc --- my weight 195 lbs.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

3. kerf

kerf Guest

That depends on what engine you're using. Rollers usually run from 7/8" to 1 1/2", pretty much depends on the torque curve of the engine. Wheel diameter is irrelevant.

4. frameteam2003

frameteam2003 Member

the size of an old roller skate wheel from goodwill sould be about the right size!

5. 1985 honda man

ill just use an old skateboard wheel thanks guys

6. kerf

kerf Guest

Those will work great for old skateboards but it will be a sorry drive roller. I'll look for your next post asking for help.

7. 1985 honda man

kerf thanks for the info i guess i will be looking for something too

8. kerf

kerf Guest

Think of something in a steel roller. Knurled steel works best but that may be a problem unless you have a lathe laying around. One member took his smooth roller and coated it with J. B. Weld mixed with sand. Might do a search and PM him.

9. Any size roller for a 26 inch wheel will give you the same speed even if you mount it on a 5 inch wheel. Wheel size doesn't matter here. 20 inch wheel go with whatever a 26 inch wheel would work on.