Rack-mount, belt-drive, new build

I've updated my blog with a new way to mount the rim-pulley to the host wheel. You can see it at http://enginepoweredbikes.blogspot.com/. It includes more photos and detailed description. Any thoughts/ideas are welcome.

Now that's ingenious. Should be easier on the spokes too. :unsure:

ibdennyak - Thank you for the kind words. I'm hopeful that it'll work. It sure was faster than cutting slits in machine screws!

Esteban - I'm glad to have a few folks with experience like you and loquin jumping in to save me from myself. Doesn't matter to me if your figures were wrong, I'd rather have you say something than me risk a problem down the road!

Wheres my dog - Great suggestions, I found the Harbor Freight coupon for 20% off and printed it out thank you! I stopped into HF and found that the engine is normally $129. It goes on sale for $89 about three times a year. The clerk I talked to said he didn't know when it would be on sale, but based on the previous sales pattern was thinking September. That's not too far away. I'll be keeping an eye open.

I know that Harbor Freight always has 5-10 different sales going on at the same time, but not knowing when this 97964 2.5 hp engine would next be on sale was killing me. I decided to make some phone calls and see what I could learn. So I called Harbor Freight's 800# and they said that although the 97964 2.5 HP engine isn't currently on sale, it has sold in the past for $89 and they would honor that price for me if I wanted to order it today. Add $11 for shipping and I'll have it in 5-7 days.

Um, no thanks, I'd rather just pick it up from the store so I can have it right now, but do it for the $89 sale price. Can't they just arrange that? No, they can't. They don't have anything to do with the retail stores and don't know when it will next go on sale.

Great. I got nothin'. I called one of the two Harbor Freight stores on State St. in SLC, UT. This one is on my way home, but isn't that great of a store. Junky appearance, the help isn't helpful, and their inventory is mostly depleted - they don't seem to have the items in stock that I'm looking for. I told them that the rep at the 800# agreed to sell me a 2.5 hp engine for $89, and would they do the same? Dead air on the phone while the clerk mentally processed what must have been a very complicated question. When the clerk finally figures out what I'm asking, she responds that the 6.5 hp engine is currently on sale for $99 and she can do that.

Hmmm, this isn't going to work, not with this clerk. I thank her for her time and hang up. I call the other Harbor Freight store on Redwood Rd. in SLC, UT. This was much better. This clerk knew my request would require approval from another person higher up. Her name is CJ, the manager, whom she promptly gets on the phone with me. I gave CJ the background of my phone call with the rep at the 800# and she said she'd match that deal and to see her when I come in. I'm impressed! This HF store knows how to get and keep customers!

I went in and bought the engine, and had the 20% off coupon which they honored as well (thanks to "Wheres my dog"!), so I was out the door for $76.92 incl. tax. I even got a free flashlight with another coupon. Nice! I'll be back to this store!

Last edited:
I also have a HF 79 mounted in a legnthened frame (3"). The motor has been fine- really a nice little engine. But it is wide, so mine is moved up and forward. It just clears my knees and I am not tall.
I suggest centering the engine so the spark plug is just on the left side of the frame rail (about a 1/2 inch over farther than mine). I cut a little off the engne output shaft too.

Since you are going to need a jack shaft of some sort, you can buy pillow block brgs and shaft from McMaster Carr, if you use a charge card.
They also sell V belts and pulleys.
Mike

Professor Mike Thank you for the suggestion on placing my engine and the referral to McMaster Carr. What a great site they have! On the jackshaft, I'm trying to build this without one. This means the engine will be offset a ways, but hopefully not too far. This also means I'm abandoning the frame mount option for now and going with a rack mount. That's probably good because I'd like to just keep this thread going and not have to jump over the frame mount section of the forum (grin).

I've started work on the rack but I'm sure I have several hours of time remaining. I've updated my blog with photos and descriptions for anyone who cares to see. http://enginepoweredbikes.blogspot.com/

Building the Rack, Phase 2

I've done a bit more on this, completed an offset engine frame and clamped it on the bike. There's more detail and photos on my blog at:

http://enginepoweredbikes.blogspot.com

Suggestions sure are welcome!

Attachments

• IMG00260-20100901-2340.jpg
    IMG00260-20100901-2340.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 625
Last edited:
It works!

Success! I took it for a spin Saturday night. I've documented it on my blog at http://enginepoweredbikes.blogspot.com/, including photos.

Check it out!

Attachments

• rack mount engine.jpg
    rack mount engine.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
Further refinements

While it works, it was pretty rough in some spots. I made some adjustments to the clutch lever, making it more narrow and repositioning it so it holds itself in the engaged position until the rider releases it. I added a throttle cable and some no-slip tape to the driven pulley. New top end is 33 mph. I've got more detailed descriptions and pictures at my blog.

http://enginepoweredbikes.blogspot.com/

I'd love your feedback on other improvements. Thanks!

Attachments

• clutch engaged.jpg
    clutch engaged.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 607
  • throttle engine.jpg
    throttle engine.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 639
Back