Rack-Mounting An Airplane Engine

5-7HEAVEN

Last edited by a moderator:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I think that would be a first. I always believe anythings possible.
Looks like the mounting plate is in the back. I think a person would need a
jackshaft setup to bring the chain back into alignment with the sprocket.
Also I think with that torque and power you will need a solid wheel?
That would be a dream engine on my avatar's bicycle project im going to resume
next summer.

I also copied the photos and spec's in case the auction's post ends. Nice find. Cool.

DL-100 Twin 100CC Specs:

Output Power: 10.2HP at 7500rpm
Idle Speed: 1400 rpm
Static Thrust: 52.9lbs at 100 meters altitude
45.6lbs at 1800 meters

Dimensions...
Displacement: 101.6cc
Bore and Stroke: 43mm*35mm*2
Compression Ratio: 7.5: 1
Weight: 2950 grams / 6.5lbs.

Requirements...
Fuel: 2C Regular Gas mixed 30: 1 - 45: 1 (petroleum based for break in,
Synthetic thereafter)
Propeller: 27*10 benchmark; 26*10; 27*12; 28x10
Ignition Battery: 4.8 to 6.0 Volts >=2000Mah
Replacement Spark plug: NGK CM6 or equivalent
Gap: 0.018" to 0.020"
Installation torque: 7 to 8 ft-lbs.

Configuration
2Cycle air cooled
membrane pump carburetor with manual choke.
Automatic advancing electronic ignition.

Wholesale are welcome -- sylvian1975@yahoo.com.hk

*Ship by Hong Kong Post Office Registered Mail (Air Shipping)
*Will ship to worldwide
*Notification will be sent to buyers.
*Real-time online tracking service
*Save on shipping, pls check additional items now from our other listings.

Attachments

• 50de_1_sbl.JPG
    50de_1_sbl.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 334
  • 4ec8_1_sbl.JPG
    4ec8_1_sbl.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 321
  • 51e9_1_sbl.JPG
    51e9_1_sbl.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 280
  • 55f1_1_sbl.JPG
    55f1_1_sbl.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 5312_1_sbl.JPG
    5312_1_sbl.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 272
  • 5425_1_sbl.JPG
    5425_1_sbl.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Yeah, it'd make an awesome bike engine.

Mounting the engine shouldn't be a problem, it being light and compact except for its snout.

Installing a clutch is the biggest obstacle, I believe. Then the pulleys or sprockets.

Any suggestions for a clutch?:geek:

Some problems you will experience with this engine:

1. Overheating. THese engines do not have large cooling fins and rely on prop wash and forward movement through the air which is directed into a cowl for for cooling.

2. Battery for ignition system. You'll need to carry a powersource for the electronic ignition system.

3. Starting? No pull start. These engines are typically hand propped or started with a large electric starter. Your tranny system must allow a pedal start.

good find

This one has everyone thinking now I bet. Who knows, I never flew a whizzer to work. Im sure someone will try the motor now that they have seen this and I am waiting to hear about that one. Dane

I think it might be done with pulleys, maybe with an idler like a GEBE or Whizzer has. That way the engine can be engaged and disengaged with a lever or cable for starting and idling.

A 12-volt battery can be installed for ignition.

Just brainstorming.

You still haven't solved the cooling problem. These high performance engines run hot and cooling is occasionally an issue with cowling interior baffle design to get air to hit cylinder heads just right. I've been flying RC airplanes for 30 years and have owned similar engines in 1/3 scale airplanes.

Heh, I don't know 5-7, couple short wings and we're talking take-off here. LOl, it might be time for you to be thinking about a motorized.....cycle to get the power you're itching for. :devilish:

Skyliner, I appreciate your many years of experience. I also read the thread posted earlier this year regarding a thread of similar interest. You posted links there that were very informative.

Happy, when I had 1.6hp-2.2hp, I stuck to sidewalks and bikepaths. With dual engines, I'm on the main road, unless the cars driving 45mph try to "urge" me off to the side. Besides, I need more power to tackle two hills near home, and to keep up with city traffic.

Two mild pocketbike engines used in a safe manner should have more than enough to satisfy my needs.

I was curious to know if installing an airplane engine was practical. According to Skyliner it's not, and I believe him.(Altho sometimes I have to learn the hard way.)

Nah, no motorcycles for me. My insurance agent won't sell me coverage. Besides, I'd be in the midst of a herd of stampedin' metal ponies with inattentive riders.

Heck, why NOT use a prop? You'd probably want to enclose it in a cage of some sort to keep "little fingers" out. The sound would be awesome!

Back