Radiation Contamination - Fukushima Japan

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fabian, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

A very simple intro

1) How bad is the situation in Japan

2) How bad will it get, depending on various scenarios.

3) How long will it take to clean up, if the disaster can be cleaned up.

4) How long before parts of the world are seriously affected by Fukushima radiation.

2. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

1) It looks like it's not over yet, according to a report the containment units cooling the reactors could collapse resulting in nuclear fallout in the air. If that was to happen they would have to evacuate the whole of Tokyo.

3. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

The most disturbing thing is that the so-called "doomsday confinement" under the reactor, designed to capture and contain any nuclear melt-down materials, has failed in at least one and probably two of the reactors. Radioisotope contamination of the nearby sea water with very short half-life isotopes has been measured to be as much as 200,000 times "normal background". For that to be true, they have too be leaching into the sea through quite short groundwater channels.

The Japanese government and power company have consistently lied, both by misrepresentation and by omission, regarding the ongoing disaster at Fukushima. To expect honesty or full disclosure from politicians is asking too much of the breed, I realize, but engineers I expect better of.

4. DeathProof

DeathProof Member

i want rado active waste to run my bke and make it shiny hehe

5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

But are there not quite a few Russian Nuclear submarines that have sunk or been scuttled that have been leaking radiation into the sea for many years.

Surely the Hiroshimima and Nagasaki atomic explosions would have created a far higher level of contamination than the Fukushima power plant and we haven't begun to talk about all the open air atomic tests.

Forgive my optimism over the situation because the cataclysmic WW2 events befalling Japan hardly seemed to make any difference to it's society 50 years later or even 30 years after the event.

We have heard similar stories of overwhelming global catastrophic predictions with the BP gulf oil spill, but the same thing happened in the gulf in 1970, yet the world kept on turning; global population has kept on increasing and the human species is still happily motoring along.

I do agree that the situation in Fukushima is terribly bad but will anyone (in Japan) outside of those currently affected by the situation be even the least bit concerned about the event in 30 years time, less so for the rest of the world?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  6. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

www.rense.com has almost daily links to articles about this situation.

7. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

8. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I really hope this isn't true for it would be like using petrol to protect nitro glycerin:

aigeezer
    April 29, 2012 at 10:41 pm Log in to Reply
    Flapdoodle, I can't resist adding that Tepco likes to inject hydrazine to help with corrosion but they assure us that not much of it was leaking as of April 13.

"It is a colourless flammable liquid with an ammonia-like odor. Hydrazine is highly toxic and dangerously unstable unless handled in solution."

9. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

10. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

11. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

It's not looking good for the west coast of the United States if reactor Number 2 at Fukushima can't be controlled, worse still if the spent fuel pool at reactor number 4 can't be cooled and catches fire.

Chernobyl irradiated great parts of Europe; contamination that will never go away!
    Fukushima has irradiated the West coast of America with contamination that will never go away!

Crikey, in Australia the conservative politicians want to put nuclear reactors up and down the east coast - it's just madness.

This video is a great insight into the nuclear power industry; how it affects you and your children and the environment.

http://archive.org/details/scm-30758-drhelencaldicottwhatwelearnedf

12. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

In ways, we should be more concerned as to what has happened in the past.
    Things get quite scarey after 1955.
    For the life of me, i don't understand the insanity of it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY

13. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

There is a very good design for a passive circulation 5 MW reactor that is actually quite small in physical terms (one city block, 6 stories tall) for a complete system. Which can easily be underground in its entirety. Since it is a passive convection circulation reactor cooled by liquid lead/antimony alloy, it is self-sheilding. When the fuel charge is exhausted (@ 20 years) and the liquid metal solidifies, it can be buried in place, or removed for disposal.

It is called the SSTAR design, developed by the US Dept of Energy, and export licensed to India, the Philippines, and S. Korea so far. The US regulatory environment is such that it is a practical impossibility to build them here, even though the demonstration of concept reactor has been running 5 years with zero problems, and the ambient radiation right next to it is the same as it is 100 miles away.

14. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

15. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

16. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

17. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Just a thought to ponder, regarding 6 nuclear reactor meltdowns in Fukushima and resulting destruction of the Japanese economy.

Japan-Iran Foreign Relations
    By Ariel Farrar-Wellman, Robert Frasco
    June 28, 2010

"Iran and Japan voiced their readiness at the end of December 2009 to collaborate in the nuclear arena. In a meeting with Japanese Ambassador Akio Shirota, Alaeddin Boroujerdi stated that Tehran would welcome nuclear cooperation with Tokyo. Boroujerdi, who is the chairman of the Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Committee, also acknowledged that Iran is interested in enhancing ties with Tokyo in all areas, saying that there is great potential for both countries to cooperate
    for joint benefit.[9] Shirota, for his part, underscored the important role of parliament in bolstering the two countries' relations and noted that "Japan's house of representatives wants [an] expansion of ties and friendly interactions with the Iranian parliament."[10] More specifically, Chairman Boroujerdi has indicated that his country is prepared to accept Japanese investment in Iran’s nuclear sector. During a February 2010 meeting with the Japanese Parliamentary Committee on Foreign Affairs, Boroujerdi stated that the opportunity exists for Japan to participate in the construction of five nuclear power plants within the Islamic Republic.[11]"