Raleigh 3 speed R&R

Barbie's hubbie

Local time
9:11 PM
I have an old Raleigh 3speed with the transmission in the rear hub, does anybody have a brake down and reassembly tutorial? or have a source for the same?

Most likely yours is a Sturmey-Archer 3 speed. The numbers on the hope will identify the month & year made.
Are you having a problem with it, or just wanting to rebuild it ? Those are NOT easy to work on !
Most problems I have ever had with one is the old oil getting gunked up inside & not shifting gears. I spray WD-40 thru the oil hole til it is full & ride it for some miles. It will make a mess, but usually the shifting is working again. I use automatic transmission fluid for refilling.

If it needs more than a flushing or 2 with WD 40, here is a link. Identify your hub first by the letters on the hub, such as " A W ."

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/samaintind.htm

Last edited:
Strum-Archer AW 3 speed

Thank you so much Estaban, that is exactly what I was looking for! There is a bike shop up the street and the guy says he would work it over for $45. Don't know what to do now, do it myself or let him do it, the bike looked as if it had been ridden very little when I plucked it out of the local salvage yard for $6.00.

The WD 40 " flush " has worked many times for many people. Just recently did the same with a 1969 bike. Those S/A hubs are pretty tough & not many are really worn badly. Try that first. Ride it a lot, or spin the rear wheel in a stationary mount. [ wear old clothes, " cause oil might sling ] When finished, make sure hub is adjusted & refilled with oil [ automatic transmission fluid is fine ]. correctly. Simple to do following this websites info.
Don't get too " frisky " about tearing it down yourself , unless you are pretty mechanically inclined. If it still needs servicing, $45 to rebuild the hub, is a decent price , if the guy knows what he is doing. Any old Raleigh is worth spending that much on, too.

http://www.karrot.org/ascotto/three_speed/index.html

Esteban, You know I did not realize how much these old Raleighs are worth, I can remember as a kid they cost around $40, but I see on e-bay some go for over $200, the one I found at the junk yard was in almost new condition, but I stripped off all the paint, and modified the frame before I knew. The guy at the bike shop was telling me about a set of dogs or some other parts that you can put in backwards and the thing won't work. So I'm sure he knows what he's doing, he's been there for about 35 years now. I'm going to try the WD-40 first though. Thank You so much for your help....YOU DA MAN!!!!

Thank you,,,, for thanking me !!
Uh-oh. Repainting will hurt the " original value " of it, but since it is already done, nothing to do now, except finish to your desires. Value of these old bikes seem to mainly be according to your area, because of supply & demand. Around here, a pretty nice vintage, original Raleigh 3 spd will bring $150 up. 10 spds, etc, $200 up. Sounds like the local guy is familiar with those. Did you see the #'s on the hub & figure out the date of it & what model is it ??

Back