Fuel Mixture Ran a whole tank of gas with practically no oil by mistake!

relaxxx

Local time
6:30 PM
I just got my tensioner and clutch working good and I pulled a really stupid move. I dumped a bunch of gas in my 2 stroke can without adding any oil. I was in a rush and though I'd do it later but forgot! There was a tiny but of mixed gas in there, maybe 10%. So after about a 30 minute run, just getting home I hear this really loud metal banging noise, not a good sound at all. next day sounded better but noise came back after 15 min. then I let it cool, and ran it another 20 min back home. After all that I then realized I had no oil in my gas. I mixed it up double strong, poured a bit of oil right in the spark plug and ran it a bit. It's louder than normal but running for now. Has a bad knock when turning over without the sparkplug. How screwed is this motor now?

Screwed - the motor is totally screwed - time to get a new crankshaft and connecting rod assembly and piston and cylinder. You will only make that mistake once.

Before ever adding fuel - oil always goes in first, but it's easy to say that with hind sight.

I guarantee you that if you've never taken one of these engines apart, you will damage more things than you thought possible.
If you manage to get it apart intact, you will most likely damage the motor getting it back together.

If you have no experience rebuilding these engines, it will be cheaper and less frustrating to simply buy a new engine.

We feel your pain!!! At least, I can imagine how awful that would feel.

You might consider riding it, if it runs and if you can stand the noise, until it craps out completely.

No doubt Fabian is right; you might as well just buy a new engine for what they cost.

And you could use the toast engine for rebuild practice. Then something good would come of this.

Who knows? I might just end up following in your footsteps one day.

I'll hit you up for advice.

The bad knock sounds like the small end rod bearing, you might want to pull the cylinder to see how bad it is. The 6202 bearings that are on ends of the crank are better at taking abuse than cage roller bearings are.

I'd spring for a new motor, get the same as what you got, your old motor has plenty of good parts. The cases are a bear to split and reseal
[ properly ] You could buy a bottom end, and put your jug on it. for a few bucks more, pop for the motor . As for expense, what other vehicle can you do a $ 100 engine swap on ?

Well it's still running. The really bad knock has not returned after a couple 30 min runs. I don't have the tools to take this thing apart and even have a look. I guess I'll just run it till it dies and then replace it.

if it was me...

id just keep using it :) who knows? it might just have fixed it! :giggle:

noise be noise! if it runs...run it! at least you can have a laugh when you do have to push it home...

um...and it gets you moving til a new engine arrives... :)

it would actually be interesting to see how long it willl last now... ;)

well that was a silly mistake.. buy a cheap replacement engine just in case.

Remove the cylinder head and check the cylinder walls and piston. lube up the insides some with 2 stroke oil, check all rubber seals. Could run for miles more.

Back