Random sparking from spark plug

Coil

I use my white wire to ground the kill switch to the frame
the 2 other wires go to my coil/cdi

If you've been using your white wire to ground the kill switch then you probably fried the coil, (and maybe the CDI.) I KNOW the factory tells you that's how to do it, BUT they don't care if you fry something. AT THE MOST the white wire can be used to run ONE little, bitty, tiny light. Any more and it draws too much power from the engine. I recommend just what everyone else is saying. CUT IT OFF, TAPE IT OFF, NEVER use the white wire. For ANYTHING.
You can get a bike to start with a bad coil, with A LOT of effort, Like running it downhill at 30mph. If your getting intermitent or weak spark, just change the coil. 99% of the time you'll solve your problem. About the only other thing it could be is the CDI. As long as you didn't FUBAR the Magneto key then problem solved.
Big Red.

Last edited:
could the light be burnt out in the socket causing a ground?
Or just bad wiring in the light
Just like you say if you touch it to the light and the engine dies its the same as me touching the white to the frame and my engine dies, its grounding out and shutting off.
Check the light I bet its shorting out somewhere

Ive been doing electrical work for 17 years now, I have no issues with wiring, running wire, connecting wire low voltage and high voltage

Plus I have no instructions that came with my engine, they seller I got them from has instructions on his website
Are they correct I have no idea but he builds these bikes and sells them, is really knowledgeable with them. So far everything has worked.

nope, the bulb was good. the bulb was a 6 watt, and 6 watts being drawn from the magneto puts a strain on it, and the power will go to light the bulb, not to the ignition because it's the path of least resistance.
but what you're dealing with on these china engines is not typical electrical(or common sense electrical).
tell me about your 17 years working on electrical.
have you ever dealt with a positive ground lucas wiring system?
well, I have...so i know what i'm talking about.

If you've been using your white wire to ground the kill switch then you probably fried the coil, (and maybe the CDI.) I KNOW the factory tells you that's how to do it, BUT they don't care if you fry something. AT THE MOST the white wire can be used to run ONE little, bitty, tiny light. Any more and it draws too much power from the engine. I recommend just what everyone else is saying. CUT IT OFF, TAPE IT OFF, NEVER use the white wire. For ANYTHING.
You can get a bike to start with a bad coil, with A LOT of effort, Like running it downhill at 30mph. If your getting intermitent or weak spark, just change the coil. 99% of the time you'll solve your problem. About the only other thing it could be is the CDI. As long as you didn't FUBAR the Magneto key then problem solved.
Big Red.

a coil (or mageto) will either work or it won't work, there shouldn't be any intermittent firing. it's either good or it's bad.
the cdi is the same way....it's either good or it's bad.
with these engines, i have seen intermittent spark caused by the white wire being hooked to ANYTHING like the kill switch or the lightbulb.
ANY power that is allowed to flow through the white wire will take power away from the cdi (the magneto supplies power to the cdi) because the white wire is the path of least resistance.
what power goes through the white wire will be subtracted from the power going to the cdi, resulting in intermittent spark.
I'm telling you sdcruiser, unhook the white wire from the kill switch before it fires your magneto.
it may be running fine now, but over time the magneto will get weaker and you will get intermittent spark...then you're engine will no longer run. weather you realize it or not, that white wire being hooked to your kill switch is actually putting power to the switch. so when your switch shorts out or when your magento gets fried you'll be here asking what the problem is.

Big Red.

so me being able to start it on my center stand with one kick means my cdi or coil is bad. Now ive only run 3 gallons of fuel through it but I would think if I fried it I would know by now

I have no problems with how it runs at all
Maybe you have me confused with the OP

nope, the bulb was good. the bulb was a 6 watt, and 6 watts being drawn from the magneto puts a strain on it, and the power will go to light the bulb, not to the ignition because it's the path of least resistance.
but what you're dealing with on these china engines is not typical electrical(or common sense electrical).
tell me about your 17 years working on electrical.
have you ever dealt with a positive ground lucas wiring system?
well, I have...so i know what i'm talking about.

No I do mostly commercial work, 480v, 208v
also do fire alarm systems, security cameras, phone systems

But I know how switches work, ground works
and I know with the white wire going to part of my switch nothing will ever happen until I close the circuit
Now I never said its good or bad for the coil/cdi to ground the white wire to the frame, that I have no idea
Im just doing what my instructions said to do and so far no negative results. Also my friends is the same way but I have more time on mine.

so me being able to start it on my center stand with one kick means my cdi or coil is bad. Now ive only run 3 gallons of fuel through it but I would think if I fried it I would know by now

I have no problems with how it runs at all
Maybe you have me confused with the OP
i appologize sd...i think i do have you confused with the other person.
sorry about that.
but i thought i read where you said that you have the white wire hooked to your kill switch sd.
if that's you, then it will just be a matter of time before you start exoeriencing problems.
if it's not you sd, then I appologize again.

yes I do have white to kill switch but so far no problems with over 3 gallons through the system, I have no idea the mileage

now whats the reason that using the white as a kill ruins the coil
is it the backfeed of power that causes this or causing the coil to overheat for an instant?

because I have no problem using a blue or black wire
ive just never read why to use them over the white
or why as someone said the china instructions say to use the white

if I use the blue or black wire which one, or does it not matter

If you are going to use the BLUE and BLACK wire coming from the coil to the CDI hook one kill wire to the 2 blues and the other to the 2 blacks, it doesn't make any difference which kill switch color goes where.

I'm sure that there are some people using the white wire (as yourself) to kill the engine, but I'd rather kill the engine with the DC voltage from the BLUE wire vs killing it with the 3-6VAC that the WHITE wire puts out, and have a chance of toasting the magneto. I go back in the ole days where a lawnmower engine was killed by a tab that ran from ground to the tip of the spark plug when pushed, and grounded the spark But to each his own.

Attachments

• engine.JPG
    engine.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
If you are going to use the BLUE and BLACK wire coming from the coil to the CDI hook one kill wire to the 2 blues and the other to the 2 blacks, it doesn't make any difference which kill switch color goes where.

that makes sense
my friends has double connectors on his blue and black
where mine had only single bullet connectors

now I see where you would use the blue and black just mine didnt have double connectors

wonder why my friends did? we both got the engine from the same guy who has a shed full of them

The %#@^ white wire

Using the white wire to kill the engine creates a direct short to your coil. if you've been doing this for 17 years you know a direct short is not a good thing for anything that produces electricity, And doing this will shorten the life of the coil.
The guy's that sell these engines, on the most part, have NEVER put one together and rode it. They have no experience with using one over years of building and riding. ALL they know is what the chinese factory tells them. Every one of the chinese build manuals will tell you to use the white wire. Every experienced builder will tell you NOT to use it.
Try this, Next time your on a ride. Hook a light to a switch using the white wire, get your bike up to speed and hit the switch. HOLD ON TIGHT, when the light comes on it will make the engine lurch. This shows it is drawing power FROM the engine (coil,) creating a direct short to the coil. The chinese manual also tells you to drill a hole in your frame to mount an engine on a big frame. Does THAT sound like a good idea to you? If it does perhaps you need to find another hobby. As I said, The chinese dont care, About ANYTHING except selling engines.
Some of the guy's here have been doing this for years and years, I've only been a Motorized builder for about 7 years. It took a while for me to figure out why I was replacing coils more often than other guys were. AH,------- THE %#@^ WHITE WIRE.
Big Red.

Back