Re-introducing myself......

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bluegoatwoods, Jul 24, 2012.

1. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Hi there, folks.

A few of you are liable to recognize me. But during some recent lurking I didn't see very many of the people I remember. I do remember some folks who had some real wit. I hope they are still around.

Anyway, in the spring of 2008 I built two in-frame, 2 stroke happy time bikes. I got a lot of miles out of them and found them to be pretty enjoyable. One of them died in, I think, 2009. Clutch was all rusted. (hint; make your own gaskets) The other one died in 2010. I probably could have figured out what was wrong and kept it going. But I was getting a bit tired of the attention these bikes needed. About that time I slowed down on visiting this forum. Nothing personal. I just came to feel that I'd read everything I wanted to read and said everything I wanted to say.

Not long after that I bought a Currie e-Zip electric bicycle. It's not at all bad for the money and it's still running. A pretty good bike, though somewhat limited.

So as this spring was coming on I began to feel the itch for a gas powered bike again. So I bought a Huffy Cranbrook and a 50 cc happy time motor kit. You'll find a photo attached.

I can't tell you how impressed I am with the Cranbrook. It's a stout bike, just made for this particular task. 12 gauge spokes. When I was straightening out the wheels I found that I had to use the notch for 11 gauge on my spoke wrench on the front wheel. This has me a bit stumped; I have a hard time imagining that they'd put 12s on the rear and 11s on the front. But it doesn't matter. It's a tough bike and the motor fit almost like a glove. I guess I'm exaggerating; I had to make my own motor mounts. But the frame does give a nice, big space to work with.

I've been putting the finishing touches on the bike the last few days and taking it out for trial runs in the neighborhood. I've got it feeling comfortable and I think it's ready for the work commute tomorrow.

Wish me luck. Picture0011.jpg

2. PhilH

PhilH New Member

Great looking bike!
  3. graucho

graucho Active Member

Great rider bluegoatwoods. Yes, its amazing how these forums are a revolving door. People are excited to get involved with the group, then get busy in "Real Life" then move on, or take a break. Sounds like your excited to get riding your new machine. Enjoy!
  4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Welcome back!!!!

It sure is nice to see you again.

Another GREAT Bike!!! :likelots:

Please tell us you have reinforced your fender mountings.
  5. bluegoatwoods

Hello Graucho and Srdavo,

I hope all's well with you.

Hello PhilH and thanks.

Yes, I have reinforced the fenders. Remember the thread titled "Beware the Fenders"? It goes back to 2008 or 2009 and I noticed recently that it's still active. That thread and others like it taught me my lesson. And, by the way, it never would have occurred to me on my own that fenders, the front in particular, could be dangerous. One example of how the info shared on this site can be priceless.

I drilled out the stock fender tabs and replaced with back to back brass corner braces.

I'm thinking of putting a line of these corner braces right down the rear on my fenders, all sticking up in the air. My thinking is that if the first brace, the one that is bolted to the brake, breaks and the fender moves up toward the front, then the next brace will smack against the crown. Maybe it'll break. No matter, the next brace will hit the crown and so on. Either these braces will stop the fender from slipping between the forks and jamming the wheel or, maybe, they'll shred the fender into pieces making a jam-up less likely.

The only thing that's stopped me so far is that I've run out of drill bits. I've been drilling quite a bit of flat steel stock for this project. And also, those fenders are nearly as hard as diamonds. Another indication that the Cranbrook is far more tough than I'd have thought. I've never had other fenders defy a drill the way these have.
  6. bluegoatwoods

Wait a minute.....I might as well throw in an update here.

I've commuted to and from work the last two days. 6 miles one way. Plus the test runs in the neighborhood in the days before. My total might be 50 miles.

The bike rides like a dream. It's handling uneven ground very well. (I get out of traffic wherever I can. Part of my commute is near-trail riding.) As an old bicyclist, I know how to be the shock absorber on any bike. But it helps a lot if the bike cooperates with you. This Cranbrook does it like a champ. She's sure-footed and responsive. Maybe I should give it time before I give it a 'two thumbs up'. But all indications so far are that this is a fine bike.

I had to design my own front motor mount. I wish I had a better camera. I'd share the design. I might try one day. In the meantime I'll see if a description works. Picture two muffler clamps attached to the downtube, about 5 or 6 inches apart. These are clamped around a wrap made of rubber about 1/4 thick, two or three layers plus two strips of 1/8 thick by 3/4 wide flat steel stock. One piece of this steel runs from one clamp to the other at the front of the tube (the front wheel side) and the other runs on the top of the tube (the engine side). Bolted to the 'crowns' of these muffler clamps is another length of this same flat steel stock. Right in the middle of this strip, at right angles, is a shorter length of steel stock. This is where the motor's studs bolt on. (After drilling holes at the right spacing, of course.) Every 'joint' in this also has a small square piece of leather inserted for vibration dampening.

This mount is almost a perfect balance between stiffness and softness. (I've already figured out how to strike the balance perfectly. I'll explain shortly.) This motor does not shake the bike nearly as badly as my last two bikes did.

The only flaw, so far, is that it's just a bit 'soft'. The motor does lean over to the left a bit when running, resulting in drive chain looseness. Although it hasn't de-railed yet.

But yesterday I figured out how to fix this. My mistake was that the piece that the motor bolts to is fixed to the mount by only one bolt. This can, and does, act as a sort of pivot. (I should have known......)

So this weekend I'll take that 'cross' apart and replace with stock that is 1 in wide. This will give me the space I need to fasten the motor by two, or even three points. I just know that this mount will be plenty rigid.

I'm pretty optimistic that this will be good enough to share. If so, then I'll make sure to take some good photos and post in a thread dedicated to this mount.