ready for a long trip!

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by eastwoodo4, Mar 27, 2009.

1. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

im getting ready to do a long trip from florida to somewhere out west.i would love to have a laptop so i could keep yall updated weekly but i cant afford it.heres some pics of the trailer i threw together with stuff laying around the house.6$ in it.

Attached Files:

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

nice job on the trailer :)
    should do ya fine !

3. echotraveler

echotraveler Member

gogogogogogoogogo!!! keep us posted, but go, dont overplan just go!

4. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Librarians, especially in the smaller towns, are happy to let you use the computer to check your e-mail, and you could post text about your trip.

Pictures are an entirely different problem, you'd probably have to wait till you got back.

Have you taken the trailer on a shakedown trip?

5. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

just a quick 5 miles.seemed to do alright.

6. bamabikeguy

If you stay along the Gulf Coast, say 30-50 miles inland, you'd be on Florida like terrain, nearly all the way to New Mexico.

But I'd suggest a 2-3 day loop around Florida, like over to the Atlantic Ocean, to those Crystal Springs swimming holes near Gainesville, maybe up to the Okefenokee.

You learn a whole lot about what to bring, average daily mileages, tire wear.

Then all you have to do is pick a spot to cross the mighty Mississippi.

7. itskeith

itskeith Guest

Way to go! I have been thinking of a long cross country trip on a motored bike pulling a small trailer. I have done it on a Harley and that was fun, but, an even slower trip would be even better. I am waiting to see the kits from the EZmotorbikes company work out. Perhaps next late summer Lord willing. I will be watching your progress with interest. As a side note, I am seeing compact laptops like the Acer I am using right now selling for less than $300.00 [URL="http://www.grobux.com/products/827331?gclid=CJ3htqD_xZkCFRFWagodMGxBug[/URL]

8. Revorunner

Revorunner Member

Good luck Eastwoodo4,

Should be a blast,you will be talking about this trip for a long time to come.

Stay safe,ride hard.:grin5::grin5:

9. beast775

beast775 Guest

bring a extra axle

i broke a axle on a cheaper wheel with my scrub drive.it seems to put extra stress on the wheel.mine broke after 1000 miles but i did keep it clean and properly tightened .i dont know after seeing alaskavans scrub drive metal worn out, i think i dont know anything about them,i have never saw that before unbelievable !!

10. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Member

Hey Eastwood best of luck to ya. Very nice idea on the trailer. Man you are living my dream doing a trip like that

11. beast775

beast775 Guest

ow ya

if your not use to travellin on a bicycle get some spandex shorts,for under your pants.they keep friction from ruining your trip:(,i learned the hard way years ago riding across the country on motorcycles.they hand wash and air dry fast also.

12. echotraveler

echotraveler Member

hey! thnx for the comment man, never thought about spandex that way! is it also true that bicycle guys use hard plastic seats because they wear the cushion on the pants???!!:detective:

13. bamabikeguy

Here's you some inspiration, showed up in today's GoogleAlerts.

http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/sports/stories/6395174.html

OUTDOORS: Pair of cyclists tackle 3,773-mile cross-country trip

BY TRAVIS BARRETT Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel

14. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

man thats a cool adventure but i wouldnt make it out of florida pedaling.if i could ever get some extra money in my pocket i would hit the road.soon!right now im finishing up an awsome chain drive.i wish my camera was working so i could show it.its very sleek and tucked in behind the seat.very well balanced and compact.it uses this http://www.scooterparts4less.com/web_gas/FS529_Pocketbike_CVT_Transmission.htm and this http://www.scooterparts4less.com/web_gas/49cc_motor.htm .but without the electric start.

15. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Axles, like all bicycle components, are not equal in quality so yes added stress on cheaper bikes will cause problems.

A hardtail Fuji of that vintage should hold up pretty well though. Have you gone through the bearings, wheel, BB, headset? Be a good idea.

Goodluck on your trip, keep us posted.