Ready for batteries

Neufcruz

Local time
1:06 PM
finally finished bike (minus batteries) so now I'm ready to tackle this last part and get this thing rolling (via power). I budgeted $1k for entire project and so far up to $700 on everything minus batts. Of course this us the expensive part but was planing on building my own. I recently was reading up on the battery booster packs and thought about going that direction but then I found a supplier (battery supports.com and they seem to have really good prices( please inform me of a place that's cheaper).
I found a lithium Ion 48v-54v-30amp with BMS for $269.00 (18650s cells)and charger for $50. So for $320.00 I can get a real battery with everything (inquiring about the lifepo4)!
I'm scared to go the DIY route as I'm nit too familiar with electronics and not in mood to damage any parts or burn my house down. Lol
Would a balance charger be better(worth)getting?
Does this sound like a good deal?
Mike

I went the Wallmart booster pack route. $120 for four 12v and put in series. Putting out 50.1 volts.
Hit 30.6mph. Went about 8 miles the other day going pretty hard and still had power to to go 24+. Haven't done a full range test yet. I just refueled all cords etc.. So will build a nice bid to house batts and controller. Batts and controller under 10lbs.
If I want to add a keyed switch, what would be the best wire to tap into to cut power?
Mike

Hey Mike, Keep me informed!
I have the Walmart packs as well. The red type with the light is not sold in Canada so I had friends in the States pick me up 3. So far I have used them for boosting vehicles and as a flashlight but not hooked them up to the bikes yet. They work as advertized and will boost a vehicle with one quirk. The vehicle has to have a battery and it has to have at least a tiny bit of life in it to activate the electronic safety circuit. To use as a motor battery we have to remove the jumper cable switch on the cable, so I am just waiting on electrical fittings. Hard to believe a battery this light can be so powerful.

Steve

Just went close to 10 miles before it cut off. Checked batt and went from 50v down to 41.5v after it cut off.
I'm pretty happy with it. Would be nice to have a little more range but fir me here in the beach, it's sufficient.
I need yo build a battery box to house everything. Since the bike is old vintage style (springer forks, brown leather seat, groups and big cruiser bars, I'm thinking of a marine grade wood, stained to match seat, weathered looking box, cut out in a similar shape to fit in the trianhle.
Might look pretty cool. I bought a flash ,mount marine usb port to plug into one of the battery boosters ports and then mount on battery box. Might come in handy to charge phone or laptop. Want to wire up a keyed switch but not sure what wires to tap,in to.
Just jet the wife ride it and well, she hated the motorbike and was hesitant to tide this one. I told her to just ride it
Ike a bike befor you even turn it on. Next thing, she us cuising down the street pretty nicely with a big smile. Came right back and said to build her one.
I read that someone mentioned a 52v for a blower that had a little more amperage as well. I thought if thus could work, I Gould maybe utilize the battery attachment from the actual blower. Just charger battery on charger, plug right into holder and go. Could be a neat set up I'm theory, could you take 2 of these and run in parallel to get more amps, life out if it?
Mike

I'm not so sure you can run them in parallel without problems. Dark Angel is the guy to ask.
I'm planning on 24v installs on a 250w and 500w bikes and on a 500w/48cc hybrid.
My plan is to charge the hybrid is off the 12v carchargers and a charging coil on the motor.

Steve

Back