Reality TV: LOL

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alaskavan, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Someone at The Discovery Channel got the bright idea to do a "Winter Wilderness Challenge". Get some ordinary people, drop them into the back country (my back yard. Not really mine, but it's outside my back door) and have them race: ice climbing, cross country skiing, dogsled racing, and canoeing. Sounds like a good idea? Not!

Alaska is okay for goofing off to some degree in the summer, but it's serious business in the winter unless you really know what you're doing.

I think they got the dogsled racing part done okay.

Then they had planned to do the ice climbing on the glacier a couple of miles up the road. They got 30"+ of snow the night before. So they climbed some ice at the side of the road.

The next section was to be a 25 mile cross country ski race to where they would camp overnight, and then do the canoe race. The temp dropped to -15F. They got helicoptered out at the 20 mile mark.

The local guides not only dressed up and acted as stand-ins for the "competitors". The cameramen couldn't hack it, so the locals took care of that, too.

I guess this place is just a little too real for TV.

2. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

You think they will have some disclaimers covering all that as well as you did?:jester:

Dang if they wanted ice and cold, we've been living it for a week here in Western WA! 10°F this morning. Yeah I'm a wuss, but I don't play one on TV!:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  3. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Pablo, You people there in Western WA probably behave rationally in weather like that. I'd bet a lot of people just stay home 'til it gets warmer. Here, we just go about our ordinary lives (it's gonna be this way 'til April anyway). We just put on an extra layer of clothes.

Yesterday the radiator on my car burst. I had my antifreeze set for -20F. And it was only -13 out. I didn't think about wind chill. I don't know exactly how it works out, but apparently -13 plus driving 45 creates a wind chill somewhat below -20. Guess I'd better put some cardboard in front of the next radiator.

4. spunout

spunout Member

'Van....we've known each other for a long time. i'm STILL envious, no matter HOW cold it gets up there.

someday.........

5. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Hollywood Hacks.....

And that says it all.

6. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

young wife and I are getting old

I suppose that they know -- people can die or get killed in those conditions
    Alaska from what I hear can get more than real truly fast
    anyTHING to get someTHING on tv these days

guess that the young wife and I are getting old
    because we don't watch any of those reality shows on tv

I would rather be riding the THING

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  7. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

"Wind Chill" has no effect on inanimate objects like your radiator, so your antifreeze was probably a little weak.

The "wind chill" along with the "heat index" are numbers to approximate how we humans perceive temperature. (based on relative humidity, wind, etc.) I swear they made these things up just to make us feel worse when it is cold or hot outside. Remember the "misery index" from the 70's? It was the unemployment rate + the inflation rate. We'll probably be seeing the misery index re-introduced in the news - so we can all wallow in self-pity on how terrible things are. :ack2: