Rear brakes on the front?

M

mrjones

I bought a dual brake lever and had a brake set laying around. i found out that its the rear brake since the screw bolt is short. ive been motor biking for over 300+ miles so far and its amazing but it can be hard to stop in time, at times. is it somehow possible to use a rear brake on the front?

yep. replace the mounting bolt with one from some front brakes :p

or you could just wack em on the forks, and rather than place the nut BEHIND the forks, stick it IN the forks... just going to be awkward to tighten. limited space.

just go invest in some GOOD brakes for the front, your LIFE may depend on it! oh no, 30 freakin dollars... get some second hand bulldogs etc on ebay. ones with a real NAME, not some cheap pressed steel or soda-pop-can chinese rubbish things.

remember, its better to have brakes that require you to be gentle when using them rather than not stopping and ending up under 18 wheels...

If there are no lugs for v or u brake I would buy a u brake plate and mount that to the centre hole and mount a decent BMX u brake to the plate. I would not recommend any centre mount/pivot caliper brake. Even a decent ie Odyssey Evolver or newer u brake would be like my fourth choice of brake.. Hydraulic disc > cable disc > v brake > u brake > your brake > no brakes.

yabadabaDOOOO!!!!!

them foot brakes can be gnarly when applied incorrectly! clear memories of doing it in front of a council worker with one of them stop/slow signs... weee! i went WEEEEEE!!!!! after brushing myself off, and examining the wreckage...i found i had broken my exhaust flange off the cylinder. we both had a good laugh :)

correct footwear is a must! sneakers just dont cut it...

yabadabaDOOOO!!!!!

them foot brakes can be gnarly when applied incorrectly! clear memories of doing it in front of a council worker with one of them stop/slow signs... weee! i went WEEEEEE!!!!! after brushing myself off, and examining the wreckage...i found i had broken my exhaust flange off the cylinder. we both had a good laugh :)

I am doing it right now.

as they would, both brakes wore their pads together, & not winning getting replacements.

when desperate, i use ebike like a scooter& walk down slopes, zig zag & opt for grass over pavement & flintstone (i like the term) method.

a b**ch when u forget u got no brakes til late in the piece.

yabadabaDOOOO!!!!!

actually, sneakers just before use by date seem ideal to me :)

It makes perfect sense from a linguistic historical perspective, that brake "pads" were called "shoes". :)

yabadabaDOOOO!!!!!

upon reflection, I realis u were serious, and quite right.

A good pair of boots can serve my purposes temporarily.

Thanks.

Back