Rear rack Greyhound mountain build

Thanks for the heads up on the frame/swingarm issues I will probably encounter ibdennyak. I did some work on my throttle today. But then started to stall on that project and switched to conquering the gas tank issue. Got er done. Mounted stock 2.5 hp Greyhound gas tank up on the handle bars. Doesn't look as bad as it sounds.:eek: For those of you who don't know, These industrial motors have no fuel pumps. So the gas supply must be above the carberater. So if you pull the gas tank off the top of the engine as I did you must find a place on the bike on a higher plane than the carb. on the engine. Promise, will get some pics of the throttle modifcations and mounted gas tank when I get some light to take pics tomorrow. Can't see detail as good with flash pics. otherwise I would post them tonight.

Been following this thread as I have a Greyhound motor ready to install. I was considering mounting the engine in frame but dimensions wont work easily. I have a hard tail cruiser frame. Went to the local ATV shop and got a thumb lever throttle. I think I will keep the gas tank on the engine for now. I am using a #40 centrifugal clutch chain drive with the spoke mounted sprocket and a jackshaft so I can change the gear ratios easier. I guess I better get out the camera and start a thread on my build.

I'm all ears ibdennyak, The only fuel pump I heard of was one the guy wanted me to cut a hole in my crankcase. I wasn't thrilled about opening up that can of worms. And one less part to screw up. Remember, 90% of motor trouble is fuel or spark issue. Almost all the time (besides tires) that is what has you stuck on the side of the road. But if fuel pump is trustworthy I sure would enjoy the luxury of puting my Gas tank where ever I wish !

Oh yea ibdennyak ! Major good find ! I gotta have one of those. You say their simple to get working without major mods. ? I need to post some pics. Last night the site wouldn't let me,saying something about some security code or something like that ?

If you keep the tank on the engine you will have to go rack mount Jackofalltrades. But you know that. If I wasn't stretched to the limit on $ I would have bought a fuel pump once I saw this link ibdennyak supplied. This really frees a guy up on location of the Greyhound and industrial engines like them. Jackofalltrades, That is almost inavoidable if you make you own motor bike kit so to speak. It will be kind of a tough go making everything work correctly. But very rewarding knowing you designed and built what will now carry you down the road like your own cheap to operate majic carpet. The freedom to go anywhere you want to go for pennys on the $10 ers.

A pic of the throttle cable mount

Zoom in and see where I welded the throttle cable mounting bracket to the valve cover. I took it off engine first BTW.

Attachments

• 1 st pics 004.jpg
    1 st pics 004.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 337
Just find your breather.....usually attached to the crankcase on one side and a hose usually goes to the air cleaner This is your pulse line Attach to the crankcase on one side and to the pump on the other side. The punp is run by the pressure fluctuations as the piston goes up and down.

Back