Sprockets rear sprocket sizes?

emdude

Local time
2:47 AM
Even though I can make it up any hill in my area, and there are many, I live in the mountains, the engine does strain a bit up some of them. Also considering that many of the streets in my area are in such poor shape that top speed is less of a concern since you get almost beaten off the bike if going too fast I'm seriously considering going to a larger rear sprocket on my bike. My kit came with a 44 tooth for the rear.

Any one have any experience with how significant the road power gains are with larger rear sprocket?

I don't look forward to replacing it...it took forever to get the one I had on perfect but I managed.

TIA

HI Emdude if you are not worried about speed put on a 48 tooth . I weigh over 200lbs and i can go up any hill with it. I go about 28mph on a flat and can take right off.

You have about 10% more push and 10% less speed and may be more trouble keeping the sprockets aligned

Hi Emdude,

The largest sprocket we have made so far for motored bike use was a 65T sprocket for a man in England that wanted to ride on trails in the woods and across fields.

In his case slow speed / high torque was a definite plus.

FWIW - For each tooth you add over the stock 44T you will lose approximately 1 MPH
on the top end (assuming a 26" wheel)....Of course you slow speed riding
will be smoother (if you go too slow on the 44T the engine may start "bucking"
this will also happen eventually with a larger rear sprocket BUT at a lower speed)
and your hill climbing power will increase.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

Back