Wheels Rear Wheel Dust Cover

C

Charlie

Hi,
I'm new to the site and have just purchased an 80cc kit that I am working to install on a single speed beach-cruiser. I saw in one of the articles on this site that when mounting the sprocket on the rear wheel (of a bike with a coaster brake) that you should chunk the dust cover. Is that ok? :? That is the trouble I am having mounting the sprocket to the rear wheel and I did not know if I should pitch the dust cover or have the sprocket machined out larger so it will fit around the dust cover. By the way, my bike is a Micargi Panther - if that helps. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
Charlie

if its a coaster break wheel take it off because it gets in the way if your trying to swap out a broken axle.

Mine is a coaster brake and I went by the instructions in the kit, and that was to ream out the hole to clear the dust cover.

In my case I was able to shave down the length of my dust cover so that I could use it with my sprocket . I installed the sprocket then assembled the dust cover and brake arm on the hub . ......................... D.J.

Definitely make the sprocket hole bigger so the dust cover can fit through it. The dust cover is pretty important. Without it, the bearings are directly exposed to open air, which will get dirt in the bearings, and eventually wear them out.

If you just take the time to enlarg the hole a little, it will make your bike much more reliable.

Shortening the dust cover will also expose the bearings. The dust cover will not get in the way of maintenance if it can be removed through the enlarged sprocket hole.

I used a Dremel tool and grinding wheel for mine. It was messy, I went through 3 or 4 wheels, and it wasn't perfectly round when I got done, but my bearings are protected.

Back